Gordon's Strathbogie regiment

Moderator: Moderators

IagotheHungry

Gordon's Strathbogie regiment

Postby IagotheHungry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi all.
I've been doing some research on this regiment, and I found a very detailed description of the colours they flew. Described thusly: "red rampant lion, having a crown of gold, above his head a C.R. for Charles Rex, having the motto “For God, the king, and against all traitors[or Trattouris if you go by Spalding]”, and beneath “God save the king”"

A lot of people seem to be arguing about the quality of Stuart Reid's book where this came from: "Scots Armies of the 17th Century part 3." and I can't really comment, though I am aware he's made the occasional error in his tiime, as have we all. On the whole I was told Osprey books were alright (maybe?).

It is also mentioned in John Spalding, "The History of the Troubles and Memorable Transactions in Scotland 1624-45", 1 st edition (1792) Vol.2, p.173. I know it's a late secondary source, and I wonder where he got this information from...

I wonder if anyone knows of it being mentioned anywhere else, any earlier than 1792?

If not, would you say these sources would be enough to be able to re-create the colours, without making too much of a leap into the realms of "making it up"? I know some groups have made colours on FAR less source material...

Cheers!

J

"Do you dress like that all the time?" "Of course, except in the shower." "...They didn't have showers back then, did they?"

Sledge

Re: Gordon's Strathbogie regiment

Postby Sledge » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 am

http://www.caliverbooks.com/reenact/index.php

If you have a look on the above web site - it is Gordons regt in the Sealed Knot - they have loads of info, but if you can;t find what you want then email them because someone in the unit will probably have the info you are looking for

Lozza

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi There Iago
Although Spalding was only published in the 1790s in book form as far as I am aware the manuscript dated from the 1640s/50s. I think that it is mentioned in the Introduction to the book. I don't think there is any doubt as to Spalding's Memorials being a contemporary document the last written record of his life is in the 1660s.
I am confident that the description of the colours of the Strathbogie regiment is correct.
Cheers
Neil

Colonel William Gordon's Regiment (SK)

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

IagotheHungry

Postby IagotheHungry » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Brilliant! Thanks very much for the info guys, that's cleared a few blocks up and let me get on with my work a bit :) Just trying to piece together some sources and make a few notes, planning on writing a piece on the use and design of military colours.

Cheers!

"Do you dress like that all the time?" "Of course, except in the shower." "...They didn't have showers back then, did they?"

Return to “1603-1715”