ECW Mercenary role

Moderator: Moderators

cloudy-cola-corp

Re: ECW Mercenary role

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Skippon's life guard where meant to be dismounted cavalry they wore the same colours as the rest of the regiment just with ever so slightly posher doublets than the usual coats and had carbines so hardly Drastically different from the normal musket block just smaller

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 pm

cloudy-cola-corp wrote:Skippon's life guard where meant to be dismounted cavalry they wore the same colours as the rest of the regiment just with ever so slightly posher doublets than the usual coats and had carbines so hardly Drastically different from the normal musket block just smaller

Do you have any evidence to back that statement up?

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 am

cloudy-cola-corp wrote:Skippon's life guard where meant to be dismounted cavalry they wore the same colours as the rest of the regiment just with ever so slightly posher doublets than the usual coats and had carbines so hardly Drastically different from the normal musket block just smaller

That sounds like the re-enactment gropup, not the reality.

Carbines are next to useless.

Lifeguards are mounted - it's the point of them.

It is dificult to protect the life of a mounted officer when you are on foot.

regiments fo horses have been stripped of their mounts in some campaign in order to keep the lifeguard on horseback.

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm

i think you miss understood me I meant that the sk lifeguard where like that not that skippon really had a lifeguard anything like that

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 pm

cloudy-cola-corp wrote:i think you miss understood me I meant that the sk lifeguard where like that not that skippon really had a lifeguard anything like that

Using an SK unit as a example is somewhat erroneous.
As a Sergeant Major General of Parliamentary army, Skippon did indeed have small Lifeguard, separate from his infantry regiment. So could I suggest you do a bit more in depth research before posting…..

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 pm

I wasn't saying that what the real skippon's lifeguard where I was saying that's what the sk ones where like

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 am

No,You said "Skippon's Lifeguard where"...no mention of the SK........Which is good as re-enactment units are hardly good original sources........... :D

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 am

steve stanley wrote:No,You said "Skippon's Lifeguard where"...no mention of the SK........Which is good as re-enactment units are hardly good original sources........... :D

My SK regiment is - if you are more than 30m away and squint, and only view us through peripheral vision without actually taking notice of what we do.
(although to be fair, the fire control, firing by forlorn rank and forlorn file, is probably one of the better regiments I have fought with in recent times)

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:07 am

The SK Skippons Lifeguard was going to be formed after the closure of Monaltires (I know I was invited to join). As it ended up it never worked, it was thought to be an excuse for people to get a range of kit and mostly use sword instead of guns. That got stopped when the role of swordsman in the SK was removed. I've never seen a Lifeguard and as Andy R said, they really should have horses.

Return to “1603-1715”