Late 17th c groups

Moderator: Moderators

Zhenya

Postby Zhenya » Thu May 21, 2009 4:37 pm

The Irish groups involved at the Boyne display were the NI Dragoons who portray Whynne’s Dragoons (Enniskilleners-Williamite) for this period and Lord Bellew’s regiment, a Jacobite regiment that fought at the Boyne and which today has the current Lord Bellew as honorary Colonel.

We were joined by a few members of the SK and French, Italian and Dutch re-enactors who we have gotten to know through the Spanish Succession anniversary events taking place in Europe.

At the moment we aren’t allowed to have an actual battle re-enactment at the Boyne, however, even having a drill display is an enormous step forward from a few years back when even one musket firing was too much for the authorities to contemplate.

In June we are having a re-enactment of the siege of Carrickfergus castle by the Duke of Schomberg with the Irish re-enactors (from both sides of the community) and the French portraying the Jacobite garrison and the Irish horse, English, Italian and Dutch portraying William’s multinational army.

czartank

Postby czartank » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Ecws Rawdons do 1660s; we depict Douglas' Regiment

On les Aura

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 am

Hi AndyR
Is Jules still making up kit, coats waistcoats etc., for the period?
Specifically Dumbartons Regt.
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Neil,

she has an order to do for the Foot Guards in the near future, and will be rattling off at least two Dumbarton's coats at the same time.

I will let you know closer to the date if you like.

Take care,
Andy

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 pm

Neil Johnston wrote:Hi AndyR
Is Jules still making up kit, coats waistcoats etc., for the period?
Specifically Dumbartons Regt.
Cheers
Neil

Johnston, do you actually NEED any more kit?? :lol:

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Well the answer to the last two questions is obvious, Yes and eh, Yes :lol:

Andy that would be great, please do let me know if Julie is going to be doing more. I'd definitely be interested. A space has recently appeared in my wardrobe and it needs filling!!! 8)

Peter, I probably don't need it but even if I only wear it around the house to embarass the kids it's worth it!!!

Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm

What?! They can still be embarrassed by kit?!?! I'd think they'd be imune by now :roll:
What are you going to treat yourself with, Neil?
I sent an e-mail to Julie as well, so I hope she is interested in making it for me. I'm in the need of a heavier short coat.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Henrik, Neil,

Julie's email has gone to the dogs.

Our ISP will not allow her to send email at the moment.

It's a random problem with BT, as the block domains that are not theirs as an anti spam rule.

If you need to contact her AND get an answer, go through me.

I will let you know about the Dunbarton's coats closer to the time Neil.
Although if we can interest you in a 1812 patter light dragoon jacket, we're taking deposits for them now :wink:

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi Andy
The last time I was on a horse was Edinburgh Zoo in about 1976. I much prefer watching or running away from them :D
It has to be said the light dragoon outfit is one of the nicest of Napoleonic uniforms though..............except from any French one obviously :wink:
Let me know when Dumbartons kit reaches the top of the pile.
Cheers again
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:01 am

Although if we can interest you in a 1812 patter light dragoon jacket, we're taking deposits for them now

DO NOT tempt this man with ideas about fancy kit - we're going to book him into the Priory fairly soon as it is, to help him deal with his addiction!! :lol: :lol:

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am

I tried going through Andy once and all he did was tell every one, Neil like you need more kit, I've just added a poor mans short coat ( for when I'm up at the the HFM) and am in the process of doing a worn out frock coat for the Highwayman stuff.
Henrik I'm not sure if Jules does Scotch Guarding on coats.

So Mr R how much or with what do we need to bribe Jules to get back making kit?
Last edited by Tod on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:52 am

Tod wrote:So Mr R how much or with what do we need to bribe Jules to get back making kit?

As I just had to put two new tyres on the car - not a lot :D

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I've some oatcakes at home what about them?

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Tod
Receiving kit insults from the costume collector, the material meister, the one and only king of kit. I can hardly believe it!!:shock: I am but an apprentice at the feet of the master
A worn out/distressed frock coat......just give to Henrik in a tent with a bottle of whisky........ et voila!!
Oat based bribery now that's what I like. Tod I see your oatcakes and raise you two mealy puddings, a pan of skirlie and 16 flapjacks. 8)

Pete
If I'm going to the Priory, I want to go down all guns blazing, you'll never take my kit collection alive!!! On the positive side perhaps Susan Boyle could maybe give me some singing lessons.

Andy ignore these interlopers. I'm still wanting to organise the Dumbarton stuff at some point.
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Neil Johnston wrote:Andy ignore these interlopers. I'm still wanting to organise the Dumbarton stuff at some point.
Cheers
Neil

Grenadier or hatman?

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:32 pm

I've been at both Tod's and Neil's and I know there must be some corner somewhere, just a tiny wee spot where you just might squeeze in some more kit... You don't need that wardrobe for any modern stuff do you? No, use if for more kit. If only all reenactors had such rolemodels as I've got...

Neil, I'd need lots of port to get the proper stains done. But I'll gladly help out. As long as I'm paid either a deep fried haggis (with or without brown sauce) with chips or a steak and kidney pie with chips and peas. I'd prefer the payment at least an hour after I'm up walking again...

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi Andy
You know I hadn't thought, I quite fancy grenadier but those wee caps always look a bit odd!! Maybe just hatman after all. I should see most of the guys this weekend at Urquhart so I'll let you know on my return.

Henrik
I've also expanded kit-wise to the parents' and mother in law's attics now as well....although that's only mainly spare material and pike armour!!
A haggis supper with brown sauce....not bad...Shonna would tell you it's not a patch on a mealy/white pudding supper with extra sauce though!!

Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Don't make Henrik any thing unless its a brown red yellow colour, just in case. By the way the reason you had to sleep in the front room last time was due to my muddyevil kit taking up your bed space.
My need is greater as I live closer to Shandyland than the others and could just pop down, in fact I'm near your place on Saturday at an SK event. I offer one half box of slightly soft oakcakes, a fish supper (used), a genuine piece of BPC plaid (from ebay), a pan of warm stovies, and some tartan gift wrap.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:48 pm

I'd wager that I would give Neil AND Tod a run for their money.

My garage alone is almost full with saddles, armour (maile and plate) shields and other assorted rubbish

(Those are the re-enactment saddles - the good ones are in the house)

Neil, Grenadiers are good - proper firelock and none of that matchstick gun nonsence or bandoliers.

And you get to sing the "stabby song"
you put your bayonet in,
you take you bayonet out,
in, out, in, out,
stab it all about,
you poke them somehting stupid till their gutts fall out
that's what it's all about

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Tod wrote:in fact I'm near your place on Saturday at an SK event.

S'where are you this weekend then?

I thought you would have been in Urquhart?

We would have been in Urquhart if we weren't so terminally skint :cry:

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Sorry I meant next week end. I can't afford to go north either.
Some event near Basingstoke organisered by Earl Rivers.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Tod wrote:Sorry I meant next week end. I can't afford to go north either.
Some event near Basingstoke organisered by Earl Rivers.

*rse, we're down in Hangleton doing a mud-eating event - well, Julie may be at home. (Cash again)

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Henrik could be either
Andy or Tod have the most kit of anybody I know. Andy might shade it due to the horsey bits.
I'll be thinking of you all as I man the soggy ramparts of Urquhart. Even the Bairn's Airm is otherwise detained this time. I'll take a pot shot or two at Nessie for you. :?
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:11 am

Nettin's too busy getting people lost around Glasgow (yes another saga).

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

Tod wrote:Nettin's too busy getting people lost around Glasgow (yes another saga).

Bless him - I do like Mike - has he not considered a GPS navigation system for Christmas?

Return to “1603-1715”