diagrams, recreations and/or maps of ECW defences_fortificat

Moderator: Moderators

Sani

diagrams, recreations and/or maps of ECW defences_fortificat

Postby Sani » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi there

Does anyone have any

diagrams, recreations and/or maps of English Civil War era defences and/or fortifications?

Further - does anyone have any imagery of the impact that the ECW had upon the historic environment? For example, strike/impact marks such as those on Powick church in Worcester, fortifications/earthworks such as those at Newark, and any evidence of fortified houses etc

I am at Worcester university and studying for my degree in archaeology and heritage. Ive been assigned to write a lit. review with a "proposal" for a possible research question for a dissertation, and would like to investigate Civil War defenses and fortifications. Unfortunately the county archaeological unit based on campus has not been of great help, even though one of its members is a published author on ECW fortifications (although I have yet to meet him!).

Any help you could assist a fellow re-enactor with would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tom Stewart

Private Dietz sir!

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Good start points would be
Newark On Trent The Civil War Siegeworks (Paperback) Publisher: Hmso (1 Jan 1964)
ASIN: B001QYLGUM 1 copy currently on Amazon
Destruction in the English Civil Wars (Illustrated History Paperbacks) Stephen Porter ISBN-10: 0750915854

The archaeological reports on the Chester and Exeter defences may be of use. Can dig out ISBNs and authors tomorrow when I get home, if you think it might help.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Beat me!.....Also the shire book on Archaeology of the English Civil War by Peter Harrington &,while I haven't got it,I think there's an Osprey one in their Fortress series.
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Double post
Last edited by steve stanley on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Sani

Postby Sani » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks chaps :D

Funnely enough I ordered these this morning and cant wait for them to arrive. I also have a site report of the excavation of Eveshams ECW defensive ditch which is a good comparison.

I dont suppose anyone has any personal photographs though? Imagery is always good to analyse and I just dont have the time to venture out and take images of earthworks and ditches. Although google earth is a very useful tool, and a very basic version of the GIS system.

Private Dietz sir!

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 pm

If you have an ATHENS logon you may be able to access EEBO which will let you read the period fortifications manuals which might be of interest

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Harrington has also done an enlarged version of the Archaeology of the Civil War - I think its an EH/Batsford one, I'll check at home.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:03 pm

The Cromwellian Gazetteer: An Illustrated Guide to Britain in the Civil War and Commonwealth by Peter Gaunt lists some of the more obscure sites that may be worth considering.

Granadoe by Stephen Bull looks at the use of mortars in the ECW seiges and their use on Jersey in particular.

It may be worth you looking into contemporary military manuals - Ward etc. Caliver Books probably stock the widest selection, also Stuart Press publications are worth checking out.

Thirded, The Newark book. I got mine for a couple of quid in a local second hand bookshop - result!

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Return to “1603-1715”