Siege helmets

Moderator: Moderators

czartank

Siege helmets

Post by czartank »

Can anyone direct me to good images of original ECW siege helmets? I have been searching the web in vain.

thanks
On les Aura

bmht

siege helmets

Post by bmht »

Osprey men at arms series on the New Model Army shows a siege helmet much like a 'lobster' tailed cavalrymens helm with an elongated face guard. Seem to recall an image of a sapers helm with a solid 'deaths head' face plate and extra heavy breast plate somewhere, if I come across the image Ill try and forward it to you.
Always liked the idea of ecw siege armour ...dont see it represented much at re enactment?
Gaz
BRYN MAWR HERITAGE TRUST
living in the past to learn for the future

czartank

Post by czartank »

I have the osprey: the armourer building the helmet would like to see images of the original if possible.

There is an English siege helmet with a face mask in Les Invalides in Paris: Sadly it is rather dimly lit and difficult to photograph.
On les Aura

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

http://webprojects.prm.ox.ac.uk/arms-an ... 884.31.10/

I think there used to be one in a museum in Newcastle (poss Armstong Museum?)
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

czartank

Post by czartank »

John, that is perfect.

thankyou both for your replies.
On les Aura

CFury

Re: Siege helmets

Post by CFury »

I'm sure there is a set of siege armour at the Royal Armouries in Leeds... Its a heavy duty pot with what looks like supports that extend to the shoulders. There also seems to be a set that sporadically appears on Ebay for abot £7000. Dont know if its proper siege weight, but it looks pretty heavy duty.

Andysmith

Re: Siege helmets

Post by Andysmith »

The National Army Museum in Chelsea has a wonderful example of one...they re-lined it (authentically) and it has been used in their 'handling collection'...I know 'cos I wore it (jeez...you can't turn your head around quickly in it, I can tell you!) I suppose (if you're within reach of the place) you could always ask 'em for a 'private viewing' and 'wearing' plus the taking of a few pictures (their Education Department is very accommodating).