Oliver Cromwell's Lobstertail - Photos ?

Moderator: Moderators

Cannonshots

Oliver Cromwell's Lobstertail - Photos ?

Postby Cannonshots » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 am

Inasmuch as I am constantly in awe about both the quality and quantity of A & A pics on the web, I am also sometimes suprised at the lack of pics and info on some interresting items. I have attached the only reference I can find on this Helmet, apparently worn by Oliver Cromwell himself which resides in Warwick Castle.
Does anyone know of some good photos of this historic item ? I have asked on other forums but its like asking for a photo of hen's teeth !
As I am in Australia...alas, I cannot zip into Warwick so easily so your help would be greatly appreciated indeed !!

Thank you !

Merv Cannon
Attachments
helmet, worn by Oliver Cromwell.jpg

Merv

HistoryNeedsYou

Postby HistoryNeedsYou » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 am

G'day

I googled 'warwick castle helmet cromwell' in google images and found a few images. Wikipedia has a bonzer image at:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Helmet.JPG

I guess your googling is as ripper as Merv Hughes bowling! What a galah!

Cannonshots

Cromwell helmet

Postby Cannonshots » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:47 am

Six of One wrote:G'dayI googled 'warwick castle helmet cromwell' in google images and found a few images. Wikipedia has a bonzer image at:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lWarHelmet. I guess your googling is as ripper as Merv Hughes bowling! What a galah!

Thanks for that image.....actually I already have that one too....now I have a grand total of two ! I didnt mention it because its virtually the same angle as the first ( a lot sharper but also a lot darker ) so, its sort of " six of one and half a dozen of the other " 8)

Thanks ! ( PS... Merv who ? )

Merv

Dathi

17th Century Helmet

Postby Dathi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 pm

Do you mean like this one?

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic ... highlight=

Which is also in the David Blackmore book

Strafford

Re: Oliver Cromwell's Lobstertail - Photos ?

Postby Strafford » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Putting Cromwell and Warwick together in this post is interesting if you like History. Sir Philip Warwick first saw Cromwell in Parliament raving about the imprisonment of the servant of an aquaintance. I think the servant in question might have been John Lilburn. Warwick described CRomwell as 'Dressed by a poor country tailor in rough clothes and his 'little collar' (To keep greasy hair off the suit) had blood on it. He wore his sword 'close' and....
he didn't even have a hat band! The Slapper!

Cromwell has informed me that his wife forced him to weat the Lobster tail after what happened to Charles I for not wearing one. He was forced to wear armour under his day clothes later, either because his wife had developed a fetish or his mother had contracted tourettes which made her unstable with kitchen knives.

You will not read this anywhere else folks but it is still better than the other rubbish that people keep writing about one of the best people in English History.

Here's the clue. Various Records offices I have visited had their Civil war records re-written after the Restoration.... Missing out the things that the restored regime didn't want to be remembered. The same applies to Westminster and the Commons. Letters missing records disappeared. The people who then wrote the History did so because their Patrons paid them. The Patrons' Patrons rewarded and en nobled them. Which means that most of Civil War History has been through a sieve. Many of our items of 'History' are convenient stories.

If you have a friend, one you know well, of many year's standing, and he is accused of something, it won't take you long to decide whether or not he would be likely to do what he was accused of. I've know Oliver Cromwell for 26 years. There are things which he is accused of that you can disprove and there are things he is accused of which are just plain daft. Other things you question and investigate. In the main, the Oliver Cromwell I know would not have done certain things without endangering his Mortal Soul and Eternal life that he believed in. And, being a Farmer with is own small brewery and a Mother and Sisters to support, the idea of Waste would be alien to him. So why would he waste people.

Return to “1603-1715”