Peasant women outerwear?

Moderator: Moderators

DanceswithCows

Peasant women outerwear?

Postby DanceswithCows » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm providing cattle to be reived at a Border Reiver event again this year but whereas last year it was Julyish, this time it's March and will be a bit chilly! I'm struggling to find what a poor dairymaid/peasant girl would wear as outerwear during this period...most people seem happy to wander about in shirt sleeves but......brr!? I would appreciate something a bit warmer.

Thanks for any advice!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: Peasant women outerwear?

Postby guthrie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 pm

A nice woollen dress and then a nice woollen gown on top of that, and I think by the 1570s (that is roughly when you mean?) you might be able to wear some sort of jacket.

Basically the more wool the better.

Buy my book about Alchemy in Medieval and Tudor England:
http://www.newcurioshop.com/alchemy-med ... r-england/

DanceswithCows

Postby DanceswithCows » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm

thanks - any pictures of the gown to go on?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Done a quick check of some of the stuff I saw on kentwell facebook.
You can use gloves, perhaps like these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Ladie ... 1e85a124e3

And on this you can see a 1547 and a 1574-ish drawings of what country englishwomen wore. Not much help for your final bad weather outer layer, but you can clearly see the wearing of a dress and a gown, basically a bigger dress, on top of that, with some interesting bits of linen stuff.

Try also finding a copy of the Tudor Tailor. You don't say if you are being English or Scottish but I don't really expect them to be much different, but there might be a few years more lag fashion wise than if you lived in Essex or Kent or suchlike.

There's also the drawings of peasants and their lives by Breughel, they are useful, you can find them on the internet easily enough.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Hah, you posted as I was composing the previous message.
Breughel peasants dance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Piete ... GA3499.jpg

Not entirely sure what you'd wear for bad weather though, I think cloaks were still around just not very common having been superseded by jackets and jerkins and the like, but so many pictures show women wearing linen coif thingies which aren't so practical in the rain in March, mind you some show them wearing what are probably woollen knitted or felted bonnets.

DanceswithCows

Postby DanceswithCows » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

thanks very much! I'm not actually sure if I'm scottish or english in this, it's more of a stunt show than authentic re enactment but I don't like to let the side down if possible! I guess we'll say english, having my english cattle nicked 8-) the gowns seem quite voluminous - relieved about the gloves!

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 am

You are welcome to borrow kit from me. For the Border Reivers Festival at Hawick in March I have the outfit on the home page of Rent a Peasant with a linen petticoat underneath and a thick wool skirt on top and a wool jacket lined in wool. I'm generally pretty snug but last year was a bit nippy so I had a shawl as well and an open fronted wool hood over the linen coif.
Drea Leed's book The Well Dress'd Flemish Peasant is helpful, based on Aertsen rather than Brueghel. I have a spare copy you could borrow but also look at the online Elizabethan Costuming site run by Drea. There are patterns for jackets like the Brueghel ones in the Spanish pattern book, whose author currently escapes my memory.

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

If it's 1570s ish, then yes you could have a knitted bonnet - so long as it's fulled & dressed i.e. not just raw knitting.

Shawls: afaik there's no evidence for knitted shawls at this date - certainly none turn up in the records of the Scottish knitting industry and I have no reason to suppose that it would be different in the borders even if you were south of the border, also there are no images that I can call to mind of women wearing what we would recognise as shawls at that date - knitted or otherwise.
You could possibly wear a plaid around your shoulders - probably homespun, possibly checked (tartan?), but I don't know if they were worn in this way by women at this time - see what I said earlier about images of women with cloth around their shoulders - if anyone knows of any please let me know, Ta muchly.

So to sum up: I'd go with a bonnet, or hood & / or a cloak for an extra outer layer, or even better another layer of clothes - i.e. a gown, overkirtle, over dress or whatever it's called at that date - some variation on the next layer down, but a bit bigger so that it layers up. It's easier to add/remove outer layers than it is to get out of extra undies.

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:04 pm

Shawl was the wrong word. Arisaid is better. Plaid belted round waist and drawn up over head. More a Highland style but Highlanders were expert reivers and came south to Falkirk Tryst etc.
Open hood based on linen example in Janet Arnold's linens book. Early C17. Wool seemed a good idea up here.

Midland Spinner

Postby Midland Spinner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

40/- freeholder wrote:Shawl was the wrong word. Arisaid is better. Plaid belted round waist and drawn up over head. More a Highland style but Highlanders were expert reivers and came south to Falkirk Tryst etc.

That would be fine (and thanks for the word Arisaid - I didn't know that was what they were called)- I just don't want anyone coming to this thread in the future and thinking that the sort of knitted woolly shawl that Grannie made could be acceptable.

DanceswithCows

Postby DanceswithCows » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

brilliant, arisaid fits the bill and is very doable - I liked the overgown idea but it seemed very open at the neck for very cold blowy wet weather! :worried: Also a lot more intricacy than my seamstress would like at this stage of play!

Thanks for the offer of borrowing but I daren't, I have to handle animals at the time and they could easily get covered in poo or ripped!

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 pm

DwC, I offered because my clothes are already torn & covered in hairs, mud, blood, dung etc. They are worn "for real" with the Rent a Peasant livestock.

DanceswithCows

Postby DanceswithCows » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:18 pm

I know but it's one thing doing it yourself and another lending to someone and then Ted steps on it and rips it right up the middle or something! :D

DanceswithCows

Postby DanceswithCows » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Also, there is the teensy size differential between us!!

Return to “1485-1603”