Would like to get into Tudor re-enacting..where to start?

Moderator: Moderators

ebeal2011

Would like to get into Tudor re-enacting..where to start?

Postby ebeal2011 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm Emma and new to the site. My husband and I would like to get into re-enacting from this period of history and have no idea where to start!
We are on the Hampshire/Dorset border and do not know of any groups locally. We have two young children (toddler and baby) and would like to include them occasionally as well if possible.

Does anyone know of any groups near us?

Emma x

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: Would like to get into Tudor re-enacting..where to start

Postby guthrie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 am

No, I'm afraid I don't, but i have to put in a plug for Kentwell Hall, which is family friendly (Some people are now bringing their children along after being Tudors themselves when children) and good fun. Just a bit big and scary to start with, but most new participants enjoy themselves. And if I'm reading the map right, you'll be 2 to 3 hours drive away from it, not that far at all.

There's also the Tudor Group, and some of the Weald and Downland stuff (as seen on BBC 2 recently) counts as Tudor, earlier rather than later and there's people who play there.

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am

I think if you're looking for generic Tudor Kentwell is probably your best first stop. They cover a range of dates through the Tudor period.

Unfortunately, The Tudor Group is not taking on new members this year. Most of their events are based in Haddon Hall in Derbyshire, so you'd have to like travel.

The Weald and Downland used to welcome volunteers (I don't know if that's true under the new management) but that's not re-enactment per se, more like being a guide.

You should also try The Hungerford Household (http://www.hungerfordhousehold.co.uk/). They're based around the south coast. I know they've done events at Southampton's Tudor House.

If you're into military life there's very little. Most of the groups will have some military component, but it's rarely a primary focus. The best choice would be The Suffolk Free Company (http://www.suffolkfreecompany.webs.com/); who also play at Kentwell, I believe.
I think there are also a couple of 'Land Snail' groups around. Might be worth searching http://www.landsknecht.org/ to see if there are any in the UK.

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

ebeal2011

Postby ebeal2011 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Thank you both, have emailed/called all you suggested and sent off a SAE to Kentwell.

:)

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 pm

That's reassuringly organised and quick. Well done.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:23 pm

If you fancy early Tudor then Armet may be able to help. We formed two years ago to work on the Flodden 1513 project with the intention of doing events after the anniversary last year. We have a basic web site www.16thcentury.co.uk but it may be better to drop me an email with your number and I'll ring you. foxblade4@hotmail.com

Return to “1485-1603”