Liquid storage for a Tudor coppicer

Moderator: Moderators

Paul D

Liquid storage for a Tudor coppicer

Postby Paul D » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 pm

At present I store either ale of ginger, small beer or limonade in a two-tone (Victorian) eartern ware pot but keep it covered with a cotton clout. I KNOW this is not authentic for Tudor times, so does anyone know what a common man would use to keep his liquid refreshment (in bulk) in while working in the fields please, or how I can find out please as this is driving me potty as a new reenactor.
Thanks

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Re: Liquid storage for a Tudor coppicer

Postby Merlon. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:45 am

Best bet is either a leather or pot Costrel . Which kind of por would depend on your geographical location.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Pot Jug with cloth or leather cover is another alternative. If it is partially glazed on the outside then you can dampen it/wrap in a damp cloth to keep it cool.

A jug or pot costrel with be cheaper than a leather costrel and a jug can be much bigger so better for bulk. Remember that earthenware ceramics produced locally were a disposable item, similar to treen (wooden cups, plates and bowls) though they are expensive for re-enactors to buy today

The person you need to speak to is Jim the Pot at Trinity Court Potteries (at TORM or has website). If you tell him exactly what you need the item for and your social class and the location then he will advise accordingly. His stock is entirely based on the extant pots, either collections or in the archaeological record.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Bevis Gittens

Postby Bevis Gittens » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Hello follow Tudor woodsman. When we are doing coppice/charcoal making at Grayhill water is an issue as we a a fair walk from the nearest well. We have used in the past a lovely 5 litre wooden barrel from Matuls in Poland to hold our drinking water, refilling it once a day. This is available from http://www.matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Ln ... ategoria=9 at €130.... not cheap but lovely.

If you want something more mobile a leather costrel is probably best, and least likely to get broken. Otherwise, as already stated, trinity court does love jugs.

i can recommend, for costrels, the Leather Man - http://www.the-leather-man.co.uk/leathe ... goods.html - not the cheapest but very well made

Bevis

PS where do you 'Tudor coppice'?

Bevis G
Wood Collier

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 am

For personal use I'd say leather bottle or costrel, I make both.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 am

Kentwell Hall in Suffolk. If you google Kentwell Hall, you will get LOADS of info. Why not come and join us?

Bevis Gittens wrote:Hello follow Tudor woodsman. When we are doing coppice/charcoal making at Grayhill water is an issue as we a a fair walk from the nearest well. We have used in the past a lovely 5 litre wooden barrel from Matuls in Poland to hold our drinking water, refilling it once a day. This is available from http://www.matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Ln ... ategoria=9 at €130.... not cheap but lovely.

If you want something more mobile a leather costrel is probably best, and least likely to get broken. Otherwise, as already stated, trinity court does love jugs.

i can recommend, for costrels, the Leather Man - http://www.the-leather-man.co.uk/leathe ... goods.html - not the cheapest but very well made

Bevis

PS where do you 'Tudor coppice'?

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks as ever evryone. I do use a leather costrel at present which I made myself, but am looking for someting larger. Looks like the large pot and cloth solution will work well.

Sophia wrote:Pot Jug with cloth or leather cover is another alternative. If it is partially glazed on the outside then you can dampen it/wrap in a damp cloth to keep it cool.

A jug or pot costrel with be cheaper than a leather costrel and a jug can be much bigger so better for bulk. Remember that earthenware ceramics produced locally were a disposable item, similar to treen (wooden cups, plates and bowls) though they are expensive for re-enactors to buy today

The person you need to speak to is Jim the Pot at Trinity Court Potteries (at TORM or has website). If you tell him exactly what you need the item for and your social class and the location then he will advise accordingly. His stock is entirely based on the extant pots, either collections or in the archaeological record.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 am

leather, treen or ceramic. Horn too but identifying examples a bit more difficult. Something robust and cheap though, the former usually rules out ceramic. The leather can be a costrel/bombard etc but don't forget the humble skin, perfectly good.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:leather, treen or ceramic. Horn too but identifying examples a bit more difficult. Something robust and cheap though, the former usually rules out ceramic. The leather can be a costrel/bombard etc but don't forget the humble skin, perfectly good.

Been toying with the idea of a goat skin, but not sure if this is authentic this side of the med?

Return to “1485-1603”