Flodden event

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Flodden event

Postby Tod » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:57 am

I've been in touch with one of the steering committee, the same chap John spoke to. He is very enthusiastic. He is setting up a new web site (they know the existing one is a problem) the address will be www.rememberingflodden.net They hope to get it up and running in the early new year. So far so good.
They are have got things moving by getting new display boards up on the battlefield and having annual lectures. That may not be every ones cup of tea but shows effort and commitment which can only be applauded.

Clive (the chap I spoke to) and I are going to meet up as he gets down to where I am from time to time. I’m also going to try and set up a meeting in the north, I’m in Bletchley which is a long way from Northumberland.

One of the things they are really keen on is finding out what people wore both in the way of clothes and armour. They know there are few resources.

More info as I get it.

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Flodden event

Postby John Waller » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Tod,
Do try and impress upon Clive that while there are people interested in supporting any plan to re-enact the event they do need time to prepare. Especially as few have the right kit.

Good luck with him.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 am

I've just had an email from some one on the steering committee as Clive hasn't been in touch. I've asked them to give me a call. More info. when I get it.

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Any further news on this? I know two or three who are interested in showing the Scots what's what

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Foxe wrote:Any further news on this? I know two or three who are interested in showing the Scots what's what

Foxe, there is quite a bit of interest from members of the reenactment community (FED, RAT, SK, ECWS, Conquest etc, etc) I was talking to Allan Harley about it at the weekend, but until the Flodden 500 people come up with dates and funding then we can't get things moving. Tod may have a further update but latest I have heard is that they have an interested landowner and have appointed a graduate intern to co-ordinate events. Heritage Lottery funding may be being persued. There are a large number of stakeholders involved - Lord Joicey, EH, various councils and heritage bodies both sides of the border and many other groups, each with it's own agenda. It strikes me that the very body put together to commemorate the event is the one thing holding it back due to it's size and complexity but that's just my opinion. One thing that may be holding back a decision date-wise is a mooted royal visit to the site around the anniversary. Tod has set up a facebook group for interested parties. I've not seen it yet but you may wish to join up to keep updated on any movement.

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks, I'll go check FB.

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:46 pm

See Clive Hallam-Baker's article about Flodden 500 in the latest Skirmish which calls for interested parties to contact him. I hear elsewhere that 2nd weekend in August 2013 may be a possible date.

I also have interest from a venue in the south of England which has historical connections with Flodden about a possible small scale event to tie in with the anniversary. More later.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:07 am

Two years to go to the anniversary.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 am

Dates for events.
1/2 September 2012. Kelmarsh 2013. 3/4 August 2013. For more details have a look in the events section.

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Massive thank you to Tod and Angie and all those other members of WOTR groups who assisted them, for putting together the Flodden 500th Anniversary event this weekend past.Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and had an absolute ball in a beautiful part of the world.

I'd also like to thank all my comrades on the Scottish side old and new AND also a very gracious and fair English enemy (apart from those bloody archers; the bain of every Scottish force in history :( ) who let some of us usually non period pikemen, enjoy a fabulous weekend.

What's next Tod, I know a bloody long rest is likely, but after that.....Stoke Field, Ancrum Moor, Pinkie??

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Return to “1485-1603”