Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Moderator: Moderators

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Zilch so far, but then I forgot to e-mail her.

Colin MacDonald

Post by Colin MacDonald »

Delightful cynicism courtesy of my Missus, who has to work with the NTS on occasion:
[Alison] sounded enthusiastic and competent? Oh, then she's probably been sacked by now.
NOTE: ;)

Master of the Mews

Post by Master of the Mews »

I have been in touch with Bannockburn today, Alison Corley has been on extended annual leave and should be back on Monday, the event as far as I have been told today is still going ahead, everyone will be contacted in due course

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Master of the Mews wrote:I have been in touch with Bannockburn today, Alison Corley has been on extended annual leave and should be back on Monday, the event as far as I have been told today is still going ahead, everyone will be contacted in due course
Excellent news!
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

PaulMurphy

Post by PaulMurphy »

Master of the Mews wrote:...everyone will be contacted in due course
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (remember them?), the time to contact everyone was 3 months ago before they confirmed bookings for the season.
Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

Simon_Diment

Post by Simon_Diment »

PaulMurphy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:33 pm Post subject:
Master of the Mews wrote:
...everyone will be contacted in due course

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (remember them?), the time to contact everyone was 3 months ago before they confirmed bookings for the season.
Completely agree Paul, it's too late for us as we already have our 2007 season fully booked. 8)
Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Colin MacDonald

Apropos sharing the venue with the annual Bannockburn rally and march that usually ends at the Heritage Centre:

Stirling Council say that it's nowt to do with them. It's vanished off the main SNP site (it seems like they've been quietely trying to back away from it for a while now, and as it's post election this year, I doubt it's high on their list of priorities anyway). There's a local "Bannockburn SNP" branch who seem to be responsible for organising it, but the site being closed off is apparently news to them; they're checking with NTS just now to see what's what.

Come on, lets have some good news. Has anyone seen the promised (6 months ago) kit guide?

Wait: is this a re-enactment of previous Bannockburn re-enactments? ;)

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Yes, its Po-Mo 21st century re-enacting!
A new art form!

Master of the Mews

Alison Corley has been in touch today, they are holding meetings to catch up on everything as she has been off since November. She has informed me that she will be contacting everyone at the end of this week with all the descisions etc... so please hold on hopefully not everyone is booked and it can be made into a wonderful event again.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

I think she will find most folks are esp those who would need to travela nd to be honest given the experiences of this event and the half cocked way it seems to be going this time it would take more than an invite to get me up there.

Instead Iam going to Lanark
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Nigel wrote:I think she will find most folks are esp those who would need to travela nd to be honest given the experiences of this event and the half cocked way it seems to be going this time it would take more than an invite to get me up there.

Instead Iam going to Lanark
I'm starting to wonder about this, do NTS think that we all sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for them to come along say that they have an event? An event like this could be absolutely amazing, but time after time we get let down.

If that seems too negative, well I'm sorry but the event hasn't turned out the way we would like it to - can I suggest better communication?

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

Erm I think lots of bookers think groups do nothing but sit and wait for them to get in touch. The living history group I belong to have had people ring them up and try to book them for 2 weeks time and when they say sorry no they take the hump and want to know why. er because we are good and get booked years inadvance like all good groups, but they dont believe you.
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Who do we know is planning to be there?
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

All I know is that the CoDDs will be there. As of last year, I had not heard that Medieval realm or Beowulf were invited. I have no idea about glasgow vike, and conquest will be at lanark, but its probably too late for them to go to Bannockburn.

I also have no idea if the bekilted a-historians will be there.

Colin MacDonald

Master of the Mews wrote:Alison Corley [...] has informed me that she will be contacting everyone at the end of this week with all the descisions.
Super news. If we don't get an announcement on this list, can anyone who does hear from Alison kindly post whatever information they receive, please?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

conquest will be at lanark, but its probably too late for them to go to Bannockburn.

.[/quote]

ER BY 5 MONTHS WE CLOSED THE BOOKS ON 2007 in September and are filling up 08 amd 09 already
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

"book your Norman Conquest now!
Come on people, do you want to be conquered by big blokes in mail?
If so, book early to avoid disapointment!
2007 season booked out, now taking bookings for 2008 and 2009. Get your conquests whilst they are still energetic. Form an orderly queue."

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

We dont pay for advertising tyou know :D

Ask Phil we are really quite nice

I hoep youa re aware that CODDS have an open invite to come to any of our giggs ? Just let us know youa re coming so we can warn chef he gets emotional about stuff

Buckets are go btw

Colin MacDonald

Anyone heard anything?

Colin MacDonald

[Kif]Nghfff. :( [/Kif]

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I take it that means its not on?
Tell us more.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Master of the Mews wrote:Alison Corley has been in touch today, they are holding meetings to catch up on everything as she has been off since November. She has informed me that she will be contacting everyone at the end of this week with all the descisions etc... so please hold on hopefully not everyone is booked and it can be made into a wonderful event again.
That was posted the better part of a fortnight ago, is there any development or are we justing wasting our time here?

Colin MacDonald

guthrie wrote:I take it that means its not on?
Tell us more.
No, I haven't heard anything, I'm just expressing my feelings about not having heard anything, because it means that we'll have fewer of the really decent groups from the far reaches of the Empire (i.e. Englandland) attending. Some days, only an exhasperated Kiffism will do.

The event is still showing in NTS's calendar, so I'm sure we'll hear something from somone eventually. Or we could just show up on the day and have a laugh. I'm still up for it, and am actually quite pleased that it looks like we're skipping the usual waffle about kit guide this and authenticity that. I'm setting my Expectation-o-meter to a standard of: Approximately 600 to 1600AD, Western hemisphere, ideally without a pink mohawk or the words "I AM TEH ANGLE OF DETH" carved backwards on the forehead.

I quite fancy arching this year. Mind your groins and kneecaps, chaps. ;)

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I've seen a few episodes of futurama, but to find that Mr mcdonald has seen enough to be able to use one of the characters to make a point, is somewhat disturbing.

Master of the Mews

Well after keeping the date in my diary free for the last 4 months I finally got an email at the end of last week saying thanks but no thanks they are going to use someone else. :x

Never mind we are going to the Loseley event instead, its closer and should be just as good. :)

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Master of the Mews wrote:Well after keeping the date in my diary free for the last 4 months I finally got an email at the end of last week saying thanks but no thanks they are going to use someone else. :x
Why does that sound so familiar? Are they deliberately trying to make people lose faith with the event?
Never mind we are going to the Loseley event instead, its closer and should be just as good. :)
By the look of things, myself and practically everyone else on this thread will be joining you: This situation has become preposterous.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

I've heard tell that there is another event on in Scotland on that same weekend?
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

zauberdachs wrote:I've heard tell that there is another event on in Scotland on that same weekend?
News to me, anyone heard anything?

Ecce

Post by Ecce »

Colin MacDonald wrote: I'm still up for it, and am actually quite pleased that it looks like we're skipping the usual waffle about kit guide this and authenticity that. I'm setting my Expectation-o-meter to a standard of: Approximately 600 to 1600AD, Western hemisphere, ideally without a pink mohawk or the words "I AM TEH ANGLE OF DETH" carved backwards on the forehead.
How did you get the specs for my new costume?

Colin MacDonald

Don't start; we've all seen the design for your new outfit: