Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Moderator: Moderators

Biro
Post Centurion

Post by Biro »

It's listed on the main visit scotland site, so they must be serious about it..

http://www.visitscotland.com/sitewide/junevents

I wouldn't be surprised if there are MoP's plannnig there holidays around what's on the Visit Scotland site...

Still have to wonder just who is going though... I could volenteer our services, but I don't think they're that desperate yet :wink:

NTS

The Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Post by NTS »

I announced over a year ago that the Battle of Bannockburn 2007 would be held on the 23rd and 24th of June 2007 so I am somewhat unsure about where the confusion lies. I understand that there has been problems in the past but the reenactment was taken out of my hands and placed with our central offices. Without going into the reasons that person is no longer with the trust. I have fought to get this event back on the agenda and I have always been happy to answer any questions or concerns anyone has.

I can assure you that we did have approximately 10,000 people show up the last two years but have had almost 12,000 people show up three years ago.

I have sent various emails about the reenactment and will continue over this week to send to various groups. I would ask that if you know of any group that should be invited to please let me know. I want as many people who are willing to abide by the rules to partake in the event - afterall this is the only way we continue to build this event.

I know that we all want this event to be a success and am grateful to those of you who have offered support. I am somewhat disheartened however about what can only be described as cheap and hurtful comments.

There has been mistakes in the past, I am not denying any of this but no one feels stronger about this event than me and consequently I have committed myself (despite opposition) to making this event work - and I welcome any positive critisms you may have.

With regards to the kit guide I will be honest and say that I used the information that I had from the previous reenactments which was kindly provided by Alan Gault ( I believe that he adapted from other reenactments). I apologise for leaving this out.

Finally, I do not want to fight with the very people who can help me make this event a top class event.

Please if you wish to discuss things just call... I want this event to be success not just for the NTS or the public but for everyone who cares about our history.

regards,

as always

Alison

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

can you tell which groups you know about and are contacting? Then we could try and fill in the gaps :)
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Nobody has contacted us
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Simon_Diment

Post by Simon_Diment »

Nigel Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody has contacted us

Nige

No offence intended but considering how dismissive you've been about this event are you suprised we haven't been approached?

I think we ought to support the event otherwise they'll only ever get the scrapings such as the tartans turning up and it will never improve - we ought to be part of the process not waiting on the sidelines.

Speak to you later :lol:

Simon
Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

sIMON ITS PRECISLEY FOR THE REASONS LISTED I HAVE BEEN DIMSISSIVE

I would ahve thought that given we are a large group who can do thsi period we would be precisley the sort of group they would want ?

As it is it wont feature in the events guide for us we have made the decision to support Lanark and so we will

To give you an idea we sometimes need 18 months to get an event into the programme we now have 3 confirms for 08 before the majors ask us.
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Got to agree with Nigel again on this one;
NTS wrote:I announced over a year ago that the Battle of Bannockburn 2007 would be held on the 23rd and 24th of June 2007 so I am somewhat unsure about where the confusion lies.
Then nothing for 9 months, that is not how the re-enactment business works, and to be honest is what was said previously on this and other threads.

As I've said before, I would support the event if it weren't so danged far away AND I could be sure of the organisation etc...in fact as prooved before, the distance isn't really a problem...
The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

Same goes for Traders, at this point we have booked and paid for pitches, we can not afford to keep spaces in our diary for events that might or might not happen. We have traded at Bannockburn before and would again.
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Colin MacDonald

Post by Colin MacDonald »

OK, spilt milk, let's move on.

Constructive suggestion: sell the event's attractions for reenactors. At this stage, can you commit to any of the following?

Have the site open and staffed (with overnight toilet facilities and security) from Friday afternoon, with an option to stay until Monday morning for anyone that needs to.
A beer tent with a late license.
Late on-site catering, or wangle a promotional discount in local eateries. Every little helps.
On site security, overnight and during the arena events, for plastic and authentic camps.
Firewood for the authentic and plastic camps.
Horse displays or participation.
Combat archery.
Contracted marshalls (on the field and at pre-field musters) so that nobody from participant groups need be 'volunteered' into service.
Umbrella public liability cover.
Primarily traders who cater to reenactors, rather than tourist tat vendors.
An event photographer, with the event photographs being licensed royalty-free to all participants.

Anyone else want to add to the wish-list?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Bert rent that's open all 3 nights
An enforced kit gude
A timetable that's adhered too

Colin MacDonald

Hmm, good point. As regards the actual organisation on the day, it would be very desirable to name the individual who will have primary responsibility for running the event from minute-to-minute.

Their CV would ideally look something like this:

* Enjoys the recognition, trust and respect of as many of the participants as possible.
* Available on site 24/7, with no other duties or calls on their time, and no one to answer to or check with before making most decisions.
* Prior experience both as a participant in and an organiser of multi-group events.
* Familiarity with the particular risks inherent in multi-group reenactments, and able to make informed decisions under pressure about how best to mitigate them.
* An in-depth knowlege of the period and the battle, and a clear idea of what constitutes an acceptable standard of representation of it.
* The willingness and ability to offer constructive suggestions to participants about how to modify their appearance or behaviour to meet the required standards.
* The self confidence and authority to put their foot down and prevent an unsuitable participant from taking part, or in extremis to eject them from from the site.
* Capable of breaking a man's arm by flapping their mighty wings.

People like that are few and far between, but it really helps to have (and to know that there is) such a paragon available to call the shots on the spot.

RTB

Post by RTB »

Gents,
all very fine ideas, but, a small suggestion.
Why don't you e-mail/PM NTS and let them know your ideas and suggestions? They may thank you for your experienced and informed insights, or they may dismiss them out of hand. My guess will be they'll listen.

Chris
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

RTB wrote:Gents,My guess will be they'll listen. Chris
I would guess otherwise an its to late for 2007 as to the indiviadual Mr Murphy would be my vote (ducks as cath chucks axe at me)

Colin MacDonald

Was it that obvious that I feel the man-love for Paul? I hear he's 1/4 swan on his mother's side.

Lady Cecily

Post by Lady Cecily »

Colin MacDonald wrote:Was it that obvious that I feel the man-love for Paul? I hear he's 1/4 swan on his mother's side.
Oh please - can we stop with the mutual appreciation society :D
Caroline

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

well given its bleedin obvious to all of us that Tournee should run things we was wondering when you would make your pitch for the 08 gig I would gaurentee the armoured recce battalion would be there in force by not booking anything else around it

Colin MacDonald

With 3 months to go, a list of confirmed attendees might help to sway the switherers.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

There is an interview with Alison Corley in this month's NTS magazine in which she states that she has been contacting re-enactors "for the last six months". It also says that it's the biggest event in the NTS calendar.

That begs a few questions - who are the re-enactors who've been contacted and if it's such a big event, why are none of the larger groups (or come to that, groups that supported it for years) getting told anything about it until it's too late? Are we all supposed to be sitting here twiddling our thumbs until the NTS invites us to the event?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

The CODDS are going, so there's seven or so people. :lol:
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Alan, have you tried e-mailing her to ask for an invite?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

guthrie wrote:Alan, have you tried e-mailing her to ask for an invite?
Guthrie, I asked six months ago about it and got nothing back. As a result, Gaddgedlar will not be supporting this event.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

what does Gaddgedlar mean?

Colin MacDonald

zauberdachs wrote:what does Gaddgedlar mean?
It's a 11th century Celtic/Norn portmanteau word meaning "See that Braveheart? That'll be rubbish when it's made."

Ahem. Real answer here.

I think this is probably just a miscommunication, and perhaps a surfeit of "Alan(s) from Gaddgedlar". Sorry, I should have checked the CC list more thoroughly to ensure that you got a copy. I've forwarded you the details now. Worse thing happen at sea, never say never, rule Britannia and all that. I really would suggest just giving Alison a call at 01786 812664, she's perfectly pleasant and reasonable.

I've got everything off my chest about what should have happened this year, and I'm sure that when all's said and done, we'll get the usual suspects from the Scottish groups turning up; what I'm really interested in is whether there'll be a significant presence from our chums from far flung lands.

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

I have asked for information twice in the last three months and recieved zilch. I wont be there despite being at all previous attempts! :evil:
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Colin MacDonald

I won't duplicate the kit guide, but you can find a strikingly similar one for the highly recommended Lanark 2007, courtesy (and copyright) of Tournée.

The recent announcement and solicitation of bookings.

Enrolment form (copyright NTS, duplicated in the good faith expectation that dissemination of it is NTS's goal).

Alison's direct email address (disclosed in the mailshot, so assumed to be public domain):

ACorley at-symbol nts.org.uk

Ot just call Alison at the Bannockburn centre on 01786 812664.

NTS

media coverage of the Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Post by NTS »

I have been approached by a producer from the history channel who are making a programme about the battle and would like to interview re-enactors at this years event. They would propose to film on both days. I would be interested to know for those of you who are planning to attend this years event if there would be anyone who would prefer not to be included in the filming. Please could I ask you to contact me directly if you have any questions.

thanks very much,

Alison

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Is anybody even going ?

Ayliffe's Steve

Post by Ayliffe's Steve »

Alison,

Are you able to give us a list of those groups that have booked to attend? I am not having a dig at you or anyone else, I am just honestly curious as to who is going.

I hope the event goes well and you have a group of very happy MOPs and re-enactors at the end of it.
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

RTB

Post by RTB »

Nigel wrote:Is anybody even going ?
Nige FFS fella, just because you're not going doesn't mean the whole event will fall apart.
Just because nobody on this Forum is going dosen't mean nobodys going. How many re-enactors are there, and how many of those come to the LH forums?
Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Colin MacDonald wrote:I won't duplicate the kit guide, but you can find a strikingly similar one for the highly recommended Lanark 2007, courtesy (and copyright) of Tournée.

It is an excellent kit guide isn't it, I'd heard of it but not seen it before. Although perhaps a couple of 'osprey' type pictures would really make it clear.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.