Battle of Bannockburn 2007

Moderator: Moderators

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:15 pm

Anything definite yet?

We've supproted the event several times in the past, but I think that in a couple more weeks we'll have ruled it out

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:39 am

No reply to an email sent on Wednesday to the battleofbannockburn at nts email address; I'll try and call Alison tomorrow. Anyone got questions? The ones I'd like to know:

Who is the primary contractor (yes I know we sort of figured it out, but I'd like it confirmed).
When does the site open and close.
Will there be 24 hour/overnight onsite security for both the plastic and authenti-camps.
Do they want £2 million or £5 million PLI.
Will there be combat archery (might be down to the primary contractor).

I'm not going to bother asking about kit guides or authenticity standards, and the issue of whether PLI cover, kit safety and combat competence will actually be checked this year will depend on the primary subcontractor; if I'm not happy that this is actually going to happen, then I'll probably stick to arching, because I'm a risk averse sissy weasel.
Last edited by Colin MacDonald on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:27 am

I notice the event is not listed on the NTS website. It's not looking hopeful

Caroline

RTB

Postby RTB » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:45 am

Lady Cecily wrote:I notice the event is not listed on the NTS website. It's not looking hopeful

As far as I'm aware it's still going ahead. I have heared nothing different from NTS.

Winner: Livinghistory.co.uk "Posting Style of the Year" Award, 1978

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:06 pm

Lady Cecily wrote:I notice the event is not listed on the NTS website. It's not looking hopeful

http://www.nts.org.uk/Events/All/13/

Oh yes it is...

The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Interesting, it says:

Hundreds of re-enactors will come together on the exact anniversary of this battle to create the biggest re-enactment of this important event. There’ll be archery, falconry, weapons demonstrations, children’s entertainment, an all out battle and much more !

More questions for you, Colin- last I heard they hadn't invited Medieval Realm from Aberdeen or Beowulf. That might have changed since I heard though. Perhaps you could inquire as to the hundreds of re-enactors, because if they are getting foreign ones in, I want to be sure we're fighting to the same script and rules.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:34 pm

guthrie wrote:Interesting, it says:

Hundreds of re-enactors will come together on the exact anniversary of this battle to create the biggest re-enactment of this important event. There’ll be archery, falconry, weapons demonstrations, children’s entertainment, an all out battle and much more !

More questions for you, Colin- last I heard they hadn't invited Medieval Realm from Aberdeen or Beowulf. That might have changed since I heard though. Perhaps you could inquire as to the hundreds of re-enactors, because if they are getting foreign ones in, I want to be sure we're fighting to the same script and rules.

Nor have they invited Gaddgedlar or any of the Regia groups - any bets as to who's going?

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:43 pm

Looks like we'll be playing the English, all 5 of us.

But seriously, if they havn't got regia or conquest or Gaddgeddlar, who on earth are they going to use?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:22 pm

guthrie wrote:Looks like we'll be playing the English, all 5 of us.

But seriously, if they havn't got regia or conquest or Gaddgeddlar, who on earth are they going to use?

My guess is the kilted buffoons.

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Dickie wrote:

Oh yes it is...

Ohhhh no it... oh, wait, yes it is. It's re-appeared then; it wasn't there last Wednesday.

guthrie wrote:But seriously, if they havn't got regia or conquest or Gaddgeddlar, who on earth are they going to use?

Well, speculation at this point would be folly, but never let it be said that would stop me from engaging in it. ;)

CoDD should be there. Medieval Methil? Nope, they're booked for Kelty Gala on the Sunday. Fire and Sword , Clanranald and Swords of Dalriada don't have any 2007 events up yet. Carrick 800, maybe?

As for English groups, phew, you've got me. I can't think who would be coming, or why.

I'll see if I can get in touch with Alison (or a reasonable facsimile of same) tomorrow and will pass on whatever I learn.

Lady Cecily

Postby Lady Cecily » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Dickie wrote:

Oh yes it is...

Terrible website then. If you search by property it dosen't come up.

Caroline

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Colin MacDonald wrote:I'll see if I can get in touch with Alison (or a reasonable facsimile of same) tomorrow and will pass on whatever I learn.

Yes please, that will save 8 of us contacting her at once.

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:30 pm

guthrie wrote:Yes please, that will save 8 of us contacting her at once.

Err...don't count me in that 8 mate, as much as I would love to support Bannockburn, this year it clashes with an event I could walk to quicker than drive to Bannockburn, an event I KNOW is on...

The Hussite Sheridan

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Alright, 7. And I havn't even actually counted how many of us there are. Maybe its 6.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:31 pm

Alan_F wrote:
My guess is the kilted buffoons.

Well, apart from the fact that kilts are inauthentic for the period, as we all know, I really don't think there are enough of them to provide a decent spectacle.

And to be fair, some are moving towards more authentic clothing.

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:25 pm

OK...

Mike Newcomen isn't organising the event, but will probably be MCing it.

Alison assures me that she is completing the kit guide as I type this, and details will be emailed and/or posted out this week to everyone that she knows about.

If you want to be sure that you're on the list to receive an event pack, I'd give her a quick call (at the Bannockburn centre) on 01786 812664. Be nice. ;)

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 pm

So do you mean you can get to go if you contact her and ask for an event pack?

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Ah, sorry, I didn't ask who's on the list, and I probably wouldn't know who half of the groups are anyway. I didn't want to keep Alison on the phone; she really was (she said) working on the kit guide right now.

If you're in any doubt, it's probably best to give Alison a call to be sure that she has up-to-date contact details for your group.

I guess I flubbed this; I was just so relieved to hear that things were still in progress that I went all fuzzy and limp. As soon as I get the promised event pack (by email), I'll post a synopsis here.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Colin MacDonald wrote:I guess I flubbed this; I was just so relieved to hear that things were still in progress that I went all fuzzy and limp.

And your supposed to be a hard bitten fighting man!

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:40 pm

guthrie wrote:
Colin MacDonald wrote:I guess I flubbed this; I was just so relieved to hear that things were still in progress that I went all fuzzy and limp.

And your supposed to be a hard bitten fighting man!

You're thinking of someone else. As I often assert, I'm a sissy weasel... although I wouldn't argue the point.

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Better too late than not at all...

I am pleased to announce that The National Trust for Scotland and The Bannockburn Heritage Centre will once again be hosting the Battle of Bannockburn 2007. The dates for this year’s event are the 23rd and 24th June 2007. I hope to make this year’s event the biggest and best yet especially, since this year’s event falls on the anniversary of the actual battle.

Approximately 10,000 visitors have attended past events. This year we would like as many re-enactors to attend as possible. I have attached an enrolment form and kit guide for your information.

I am sure you can appreciate that as a charity our funds are limited. However, we know that there is a cost implication to anyone who takes part in the Re-enactment. Consequently, we may be able to contribute to your groups traveling expenses.

Could I ask that if you wish to participate that you complete an Enrolment Form and return to myself.

In addition, I am looking for individuals or groups who would be interested in being involved in a dedicated schiltrom or archers’ regiment. Please could anyone who wishes to be involved in these specific responsibilities contact me to register their interest.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and should you wish to discuss anything about the weekend please do not hesitate to contact myself.

Could I ask you to forward this e-mail to anyone who I may have unintentionally over-looked.

I hope to see you at this year’s event!

Many Thanks and Regards

Alison K Corley

Property Manager

Bannockburn, Alloa Tower and Menstrie Castle

Bannockburn Heritage Centre

Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:20 am

Wa-hey!!!

Four months to go, I'm sure nobody has even thought about what events they're attending in June yet...[sigh]

As for 10,000 MoPs, that for one event I would question, it is an awful lot of people...

hey-ho, why am I worried, I don't plan on going this year, it would have been nice if NTS had listened to all of the 'advice' that was handed out before last year non-event before planning this one... :(

Maybe they'll give a bit more thought to what should be one of their Premier events...

The Hussite Sheridan

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:38 am

watch it Dickie we are agreeing again this could start a precedent

Given Conquest closed its event books for 2007 in SEPTEMBER of 2006 and ahve since been merrily turning down paid work redirecting if possible. AND already have three events booked for 2008 and others for 2009 and 2010. I would suspect that other simialr profile groups have equally busy programmes

So to put it bluntly if you want us to come to your event offer us a fair fee and book us early. We came up in 2004 with the advanced heavy recce battalion and what we saw would not perusade us to come back. BUT we are going to Lanark

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks, Paul. I didn't receive anything, but I'm glad that there's some movement at last

Is that the full content? No mention of site opening/closing dates and times, facilities and consumables provision, site security or rules, insurance required or provided? If not, then I wonder why it took 8 months to go from the initial announcement to inviting registration. It doesn't take 8 months to produce a kit guide that'll be redundant to those who care about it and irrelevant to those who don't.

I guess there'll be combat archery then, although a "regiment" sounds optimistic. ;)

Out of interest, have you ever gone to an event based on the expected "public attendance"? My work pretty much revolves around salesweasels over-promising what I can't possibly deliver, and I really can't be doing with carrying that over into my hobbies as well, so this is a positive dis-incentive for me. I'm far more interested in who I'm going to be sharing the event with, and the site facilities on offer. High client and public expectations (at £8 a head this year) are not, I'm afraid, a selling point.

Could you (or anyone else who recieved the details) possibly forward everything that you received to bannockburn at-symbol colinmacdonald dot org. Cheers.

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:02 pm

I may be jumping the gun a little here as I'm not at home to check in detail, but the kit guide which Alison has sent seems to bear more than a passing resemblance to the one we put together for Lanark....

Now, imitation being the sincerest form of flattery is all very well, but there's no credit given to Tournee, and no indication that the document is at least 85% ripped off from other re-enactment sources.

I suppose they expect us to turn up anyway, and be grateful for the invite?

I'm afraid this event is doomed, not just for this year, but for ever more - at least until someone decides that you only get out what you put in, and therefore you have to put in more than £27.50 and a few volunteer staff members.

I think I'm unlikely to attend.

Paul.

Paul Murphy

Tournée & The Vikings

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks Paul; it turns out that I did get a copy to my gmail account. In the spirit of being either nice or terse, I'm [going to elide the rest of this comment].
Last edited by Colin MacDonald on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie

Postby Dickie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:58 pm

Nigel wrote:watch it Dickie we are agreeing again this could start a precedent

Don't worry matey, I'll be back to my normal cantankerous self by TORM no-doubt... :lol:

The Hussite Sheridan

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:25 pm

see you there

I'll ahve abottle of the afore mentrioned rocket fule with you name on it

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:38 pm

PaulMurphy wrote:I may be jumping the gun a little here as I'm not at home to check in detail, but the kit guide which Alison has sent seems to bear more than a passing resemblance to the one we put together for Lanark....

Now, imitation being the sincerest form of flattery is all very well, but there's no credit given to Tournee, and no indication that the document is at least 85% ripped off from other re-enactment sources.

I suppose they expect us to turn up anyway, and be grateful for the invite?

I'm afraid this event is doomed, not just for this year, but for ever more - at least until someone decides that you only get out what you put in, and therefore you have to put in more than £27.50 and a few volunteer staff members.

I think I'm unlikely to attend.

Paul.

Paul, as you're aware, I want there to be more events in Scotland, yet this is the kind of thing we come up against time and time again - is it any wonder that we prefer doing small events that are for Gaddgedlar only?

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:36 pm

I'm going to take a breather from this thread for a while, as I'm starting to lose perspective on it. I'm just so frustrated at seeing groups and individuals that I really respect making the quite reasonable decision not to attend an event that I still very much want to deliver on its early promise.

I'll leave it at my hopes for now:

1) That Tournée receive a satisfactory conclusion to having their work used without attribution.

2) That there's a late but concerted push to promote this event using terms that are actually attractive to the remaining potential participants. I note, for example, that Regia don't have anything booked yet for that weekend (although they have majors on either side of it).

Return to “1100-1500”