Late 15th century ladies wear

Moderator: Moderators

Brisen

Late 15th century ladies wear

Post by Brisen »

Hello, I'm a fresh one here. Could you tell me please, where can I see any information about the English women's costume during the war of the roses? The costume of an ordinary citizen, but not a noble lady ( so everything is clear with them). I am not a lazy person, but I have not found anything clear about this region. The advice of other "old" reenactors with experience is that you can watch and use the Burgundy costume.
Last edited by Brisen on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

40/- freeholder

Re: Late 15th century ladies wear

Post by 40/- freeholder »

A useful starting point is Sarah Thursfield's book The Medieval Tailor's Assistant.

Brisen

Post by Brisen »

Thank you, I know this book, but there is not enough information, everything is quite General. If someone knows this question in more detail, I ask them for tips. I can cut and sew perfectly, but according to sources this is a very poor region and period. :headbang:

Graham S Cooley

Post by Graham S Cooley »

15th Century is not a period I know much about. However, there is often little known about the ordinary people. Those surviving items tend to be from the upper class and paintings again are usually of the upper class.

You need to think like someone living 6 hundred years ago. They will often think similar to ourselves.

What are the essential requirements? Food, shelter, warm clothing if possible and then items that will enable you to obtain the former.
So if you don't have much you go for the best you can afford. This may be other peoples cast offs that you have altered (think charity shops of today)
You will then try to copy the fashions of the day but ensure they are practical for what you do. So the style of clothing will tyr to copy the upper class fashions but without lots of silk, silver lace etc..
And if you can sew there is no reason why you can't have decent clothing. There is no TV in the evenings so once the outside work is done you can sit down and do some sewing. Thus in certain period you can find quite decrative embriodery on middle class persons. (If your really poor you woudl sew somethign nice and then sell it rather than wear it.)
So buy good quality cloth, sew it well adn emulate the upper clases in style but make it practical to wear so it should be comfortable.