Weapon Stand for Show and Tell

Moderator: Moderators

Tetardd

Weapon Stand for Show and Tell

Postby Tetardd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:18 pm

My re-enactment group, like many use weapon stands for your display of weapons. Unfortunately, most (all?) of the designs are made up by ourselves and not necessarily historically authentic. Does anybody know of any medieval illustration in manuscripts that shows weapon stands, ideally 11th-14th century that we can replicate?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: Weapon Stand for Show and Tell

Postby guthrie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Not so far. I've had a look myself, there are a lot more images available now online, but nothing that I can see.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:28 am

I have several hundreds of Anglo-Norman images from the late 11th and entire 12th centuries but not one shows a rack for storing/displaying weapons. Neckham does not mention such a thing in his inventory of castle supplies, nor can I find a word for it in Middle English or Anglo-Norman French. There are words for wooden and iron racks in kitchens for hanging things on, wooden racks for hay, racks for processing parchment and so on, but nothing associated with weapons. Looking at the Pipe rolls covering expenses for the Welsh expeditions under Henry II, there are carts carrying shields, armour, arrows and other gear - which must beg the question "Why would you unload weapons from a cart when making camp and put them on a rack, only to load them up again for the next part of the journey?".

Modern re-enactments generally do not include baggage trains and loaded carts, so a weapons rack fills in for the elements that are missing. It's convenient, clear for visitors to see and easy to peg together and dismantle for transport - but, like many aspects of modern reconstructions, it is probably a much later development.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Ranulf is right. There are racks on walls for pole weapons and guns certainly but when it comes to the weekend event in a field a sword caddy for show and tell was not something that troubled the medieval mind.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”