Help identify this chainmail?

Moderator: Moderators

Sephty

Help identify this chainmail?

Postby Sephty » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi
Can anybody identify this chainmail? What type is it?

Many thanks!

Free cookie :D (but I'll eat it!)

PaulMurphy

Re: Help identify this chainmail?

Postby PaulMurphy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:32 pm

This looks to me like the butted mail which Armour Class used to make back in the 90s and early 00s before the Indian riveted mail became available. The tailoring of the shirt to expand at the bottom, and to spread across the chest, is typical of the fitting adjustments they typically added, and from the photo it also looks like their typical collar shape. What would confirm this is the use of doubled links under the armpits where the stresses are highest. There's no maker's mark or signature ring to look for, but if you know the signs...

If you were looking to sell it, butted mail isn't worth much these days as the riveted equivalent is significantly cheaper than the original cost of this shirt - the person who commissioned it (and almost all were commissions) probably paid at least £400 for it, but you'd be lucky to get £150 for it now from a re-enactor or LARPer even though it is much better fitting than the typical T-shirt shaped Indian equivalent. The butted mail is heavier, and not as accurate, but it is easier to maintain and probably won't rust as much since whatever steel Armour Class made them out of tends to be remarkably tolerant of rain and sweat as long as it is worn every 1-2 months to self-polish. Plus if you buy new riveted mail, you can probably get one which is an approximate fit no matter what size you are, while finding someone who fits the butted mail reasonably well will add to the hassle of selling it.

I have one of these, and two friends have them as well. I also have a flat ring, wedge-riveted shirt for later periods, and as much as I like the riveted mail for its look and lower weight per area, I've not replaced the Armour Class mail. Maybe it's nostalgia, or maybe it's just that the gain is not worth the extra cash and effort, but I'm sticking with the old stuff for now.

Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

J.Watson / Anmod Dracan

Postby J.Watson / Anmod Dracan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:12 pm

How big is it, where did you get it from and is it full length with a split up the front and back?

Sephty

Postby Sephty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks guys, I bought it second hand from a guy at herstmonceux a few years ago, he said he bought it new for around 400 a good while ago. Yes its full length for me (5'8) and it has splits down the side and a square shaped collar.
I think I'll list it around the 150 and hope someone makes an offer! Thanks ever so much for your time and effort!

Return to “1100-1500”