All them folds and stuff.....

Moderator: Moderators

IDEEDEE

All them folds and stuff.....

Postby IDEEDEE » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 am

I have been told that the pleating we see in some high-status outfits is called "poncing" (pic)...... Anyone know if this is true (or has someone been pulling my leg) and if true, any known derivation..? Cheers.. :)
Attachments
ponces.jpg
ponces.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 705 times

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: All them folds and stuff.....

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 pm

It's almost true - but it is not poncing, it's the Middle English verb pouncen, which has a slightly different meaning:

(a) To emboss (metal vessels and artifacts) with raised designs; ppl. pounced, embossed, decorated, repoussé; (b) to pierce, prick; also, stab (sb.); thrust into (sb.); (c) ppl. pounced, of clothing: ornamented with cut-out figures, pinked; (d) to thrust, push; also, push about, jostle; also, prod (sb. with the foot).

The adjective/ past participle is pounced, which is closely connected to Modern English "punched". Not pleating then, but the idea of raising a design could be seen today as connected with pleats. It wasn't used in that sense at the time.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

IDEEDEE

Re: All them folds and stuff.....

Postby IDEEDEE » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Cheers for that... :)

(P.S. I had a secret little bet with myself about who would most likely know/come back with the first answer with the detail to make me think; "Yep. Sounds like that's it".... I won.. :) Thanks again..)

Return to “1100-1500”