lance suppliers

Moderator: Moderators

phil ainsley

lance suppliers

Postby phil ainsley » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:18 pm

hi,

can any one recommend any lance suppliers in the uk. looking for the type of lance that is constructed to take a balsa tip.

thanks

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: lance suppliers

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:18 pm

You can buy from Historic Enterprises, theirs are sectional and can be posted.

But most jousters make their own now. Wood from here, toolsandtimber.co.uk, then get planing!

Tulipwood is the norm, its basically non european poplar so is light but has strength.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:its basically non european poplar

No it isn't.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Granted its not in anyway related, but properties are close. Esp when talking about long pointy pokey things.

Its as close as you are going to get without sourcing popla, not exactly falling off the shelves in B&Q.....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Whitney Sawmills, Hay on Wye. Ask for Luke Hemmings. He sorted me out with ash and poplar poles and planks last year.
They've got a very, very wide range and Luke's very interested in history, reenactment etc.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Ooh, nice one Matt. I'm passing through there tomorrow!

phil ainsley

Postby phil ainsley » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:50 pm

ive found myself a local wood turner who's going to undertake the project for me. can any one supply with me some very basic dimensions, rather than have me guestimate.

approximate length of butt to grip, length of grip, diametre of grip, diametre at widest points etc. or email me a sketch at philainsley@hotmail.com

many thanks

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Pretty sure each jouster has lances made to their own specs. Some prefer a bit more behind the grip and some less. Some have big hands and some small. As long as you have the right neck at the end to take the ferrule and it all comes to 11 foot (your tuner will need an 8ft lathe bed in that case) what you do with the rest is up to you.

Bear in mind that many 'jousting' lances out there are copies of copies of what turned up in the 80's and NOT what might always have been around at the time. There aren't any existing of course and I've moved well away from the fluted, big flare fore and aft of the grip thing that are about for various reasons. A lot of us copy portraiture, the Mantegna St George is a good source, the curves are a bit less chunky. It does also matter if you are using an arret and of course vamplates. As far as I'm concerned the latter are utterly vital. I know of more mashed thumbs and hands than any other injury. I, rather smugly, do not have such issues as I have some nice vamplates to stop that happening, well worth the investment

I'll be at my unit first thing and can measure up a lance for you. You jousting with Destrier?

Griff

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Also the Carlo Crivelli 1472 St George is a funky lance

others are by Vittorio Carpaccio and a not often looked at one by Master of the Saint George-guild of Mechelen, his Guild of crossbowmen panel with yummy Flemish armour

phil ainsley

Postby phil ainsley » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 pm

thanks for the info mark.

i dont joust at the moment, the cost of the harness is prohibitively expensive. i got to a couple of destriers training sessions last year and one of their shows, but theyre based too far away from me for any kind of regular involvement unfortunately. i tend to do skill at arms at home just for my own interest/enjoyment - mostly sword and spear work. recently ive made a quintain, and im after a heavier style of lance to play about with next. i do a bit of horsey reenactment with a group called ARC - autonomous reenactment collective - who are based in leeds which isnt too far from me. they do mostly roman and are made up of a few owner riders.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:37 am

Sounds cool, they are good skills to get and keep up. Mark Atkinsons place near Goole might be a bit closer for you?

Griff

phil ainsley

Postby phil ainsley » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 am

been to marks quite a few times now, top chap with some great horses.

Return to “1100-1500”