Mid 14th Century Surcoat

Moderator: Moderators

Errent Knight

Mid 14th Century Surcoat

Postby Errent Knight » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:42 pm

What is the correct name for the "mullet" type surcoat that crops up in the mid 14th? The one that's thigh length in the front, but longer in the back? I heard it referred to by a specific name once, but can't for the life of me remember what it was!

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Mid 14th Century Surcoat

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Not sure if any of these will ring a bell (all are Middle English terms for types of surcoat, heraldic or otherwise), but none is defined as being longer at the back:

cote
cote-hardie
cote-tabard
tiing-cote
Duch-cote
cote of armes
queintis
tabart

Then there are the Anglo-Norman terms:

cortepi/cortepy
cotele
furrure
gunele
hanselyn
paltok
signe
sumauntel
tabard

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Well, this has thrown up a mystery. Certain American websites are claiming that "cyclas" or "cyclaton" mean the type of surcoat you mention.

This is definitely not supported by the linguistic evidence, for Middle English has siclatǒun, Anglo-Norman has ciclatun; both refer specifically and emphatically to a type of expensive silk fabric woven with gold, or any garment (including cloaks and horse barding) made from it.

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Errent Knight

Postby Errent Knight » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks for all of the input, Brother Ranulf, that's most informative. It was on an American facebook page that I originally heard the term. I think it may have been Cyclas, but I'd never come accross the term before.

Return to “1100-1500”