How to use lances

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: How to use lances

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:15 pm

I can quote tiltyards at you but for anything else its down to the lie of the land, the horses, the riders, the placing of the audience.

My horse can pull up pretty quickly out of a collected canter and turn just as neatly. All the best, top horses can. Its literally horses for courses.

You have to think what the horse wants as a first case scenario and that's go home. Minimum width is obviously one horse plus rider but the more space the merrier.

But a horse should never be allowed to 'run off steam'. That sounds like an out of control animal or sloppy riding and that just shouldn't happen. I basically ask for 100m by 50m for a tilt (that conforms to existing ones or ones you can infer from street plans/archeology but you can do 60 by 30. Its just not as good a show. And when people say if there isn't enough space then just joust slower they don't understand the mechanics of the sport.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:34 pm

You can joust in 55m, but it's nasty and too tight and for those not on collected horses, unpleasant difficult and unfair on horses having to stop so soon. FYI I can go from a fast canter to dead stop in about two horse lengths, from a collected canter to a stop immediately on a horse suitably trained, similarly from a stop to a gallop in about four strides. Ideally nobody should be allowed on a horse if the idea is to keep on going until it gets tired, that way lies great danger, (though i've seen it done). Idealy every performing rider would be good and every horse well trained, but we all know that simply isn't going to happen ever. Having run-off lines is sensible precaution though as some horses can panic unexpectedly (gunfire, tack breakage, tigers) and their natural instinct kicks in, which is to run away.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Proper jousting is all about looking calm, collected, proficient and being able to deliver an accurate and powerful blow when you need to. Galloping out the end of the tilt gives you none of that.

What battle recreations need is different of course.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Jason and i can wax lyrical on this, we've kind of gone off lances....

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:19 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Jason and i can wax lyrical on this, we've kind of gone off lances....

Artillery ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Meaning the original question was about lances.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Meaning the original question was about lances.

But you answered that weeks ago and the digression is rather interesting...

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:55 pm

The we shall continue to digress. Although I'm not sure what else we need to say. Questions on a forum please...

Return to “1100-1500”