'Off the shelf' swords?

Moderator: Moderators

SvenNygard

'Off the shelf' swords?

Postby SvenNygard » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi guys,

This has probably been asked a million times before, but does anyone have any recommendations for reasonable 'off the shelf' swords? I'm toying with the idea of getting one for myself, but don't really have the money to commission something pretty from Binnsy or Heron etc.

Of course I know about the usual suspects - Kovex, Armour Class etc. are there any lesser known companies that do decent swords?

CAUTION: Prone to moments of drunken idiocy often involving fire.
KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN

Flinty

Re: 'Off the shelf' swords?

Postby Flinty » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I have a Wulflund sword that has done me well so far.

kael

Postby kael » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Wieland Forge (facebook) (Website) - Jason makes good swords, fast turnaround, hard wearing.

Thalion

Postby Thalion » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm

SvenNygard wrote:Hi guys,

This has probably been asked a million times before, but does anyone have any recommendations for reasonable 'off the shelf' swords? I'm toying with the idea of getting one for myself, but don't really have the money to commission something pretty from Binnsy or Heron etc.

Of course I know about the usual suspects - Kovex, Armour Class etc. are there any lesser known companies that do decent swords?

Hi Mate,

I have contacts for everything, could you specify what type of sword, and price range, and what you'll be using it for and I'll send you some links.

EDIT: I myself use an Armour Class, as they are for me; the best with reasonable prices, our group has had them for years and tried to find their limit but so far we haven't found that. And for only £180, that's the best I know, and their customer service is perfect, they really make sure you get what you want.
Regards,
Thalion

Brother of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Ordinis Hospitalis Sancti Johannis Jerusalem
Ava Crux Alba

wembly6

Postby wembly6 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:24 pm

For a true "off the shelf" sword, then Armour Class are very good.
If you are lucky you might find a Paul Binns sword in stock, but I don't believe Paul is taking orders just yet until he has caught up.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Armour Class every time, have dozens of them and as a full timer, can't stress their reliability too much. However I must also say that Tim Noyes at Heron Armoury does the same thing, my principle sword is actually one of his, it works brilliantly.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

CH1LLYD0GG

Postby CH1LLYD0GG » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:34 am

Armour Class all the way.

The White Seax has a space for you!!!

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:03 pm

St. George Armoury often have swords in stock.

Got my hand and a half off him, and am absolutely delighted with it. Pricing is usually pretty good, about equal with Armourclass. Very easy to get in touch with too!

Assistant Battle Director
Carrick 800 Battle Re-enactment Society

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes, mark at St George is an excellent cutler. he does my 'better than the off the shelf' class of sword, have many that are excellent tools. Done me some lovely sharps as well as HEMA style stuff.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

CarSteph

Postby CarSteph » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

Mark Griffin wrote:Yes, mark at St George is an excellent cutler. he does my 'better than the off the shelf' class of sword, have many that are excellent tools. Done me some lovely sharps as well as HEMA style stuff.

What about knives, do they also serve for this type of weapon?

nunchucks is not an ordinary sticks.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 pm

do you mean does Mark make knives? yes, very good ones.

Return to “1100-1500”