Bannockburn 2014

Moderator: Moderators

Sausages

Re: Bannockburn 2014

Postby Sausages » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Hmm I might be wrong but thats what i heard. Its part of the Homecoming events for Scotland next year and its a BIG year not just for those of us living here but also for the Scottish "Diaspora" apparently :eh: So we shall see.

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 pm

40000? I find that unlikely but if you can cater for that many you may as well, just in case.

We have a member who has to wear specific glasses at all times. We got around that by wrapping his entire face in a linen cloth and claiming disease has disfigured him.

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 am

Sausages wrote:And so it should be but actually what is happening is criticism BEFORE the event. Before the groups have even been notified as to who is going and who is doing what.

I would say the "criticism", such as it is, is entirely based on things people know, or believe they know, about the event.

We should put to one side that a side discussion has occured on this thread about another event, and people representing Pirates at that event, and the variability of authenticity in Scotish groups; that was a simply an aside, as is want to happen in any long conversation.

People have expressed concern about press releases, about information on the application form and about the people they know are involved.

I hope the event is a success; not least because failed events impact on everyone at some level.
That does not mean the event is due my unconditional support; I've said that I am disappointed it is not my sort of thing and thus I won't be attending.

I look forward to a re-enactment of the Battle at Kelmarsh that will be my sort of thing.

squamatus

Re:

Postby squamatus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:50 am

Anthony of the MSS wrote:40,000...? Did I read that correct? Is that over the weekend or per day?

We were involved in this year's National Armed Forces Day in Nottingham - there were 70,000 visitors! It's amazing how much gear the Armed Forces bring along, and as for the visitor numbers - it made EH's Kelmarsh show seem like a village fete! The crowds just kept streaming past all day.

Robin Brown

Legio VIII Augusta MGV
http://roman.org.uk

Anthony of the MSS

Postby Anthony of the MSS » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 am

Sorry I may have misunderstood but my reading was it was 40k for the bannockburn event as opposed to the armed forces day.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 am

Anecdotally the 2009 Homecoming claims 50,000 attendees, critics claim half that at best.

It was generally agreed to be a disaster so not sure, personally, how many folk will be flying back over for this one.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:24 am

I feel obliged to say that the NTS et al are trying to make sure it doesn't turn into a nationalist festival type event, which is of course annoying the usual suspects somewhat. Let's face it, you aren't going to be able to get rid of such aspects when it's the 700th anniversary of such an important battle. In that respect holding it after the actual date is surely a good idea. And the majority of Scottish re-enactors who would attend are more interested in putting on a good show than being nationalistic. Naturally a little of such a thing is necessary for the background to it, but I think that side of it won't be over the top.

Having said that I think the attendance figures are a bit optimistic by a third or so.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 am

guthrie wrote:I feel obliged to say that the NTS et al are trying to make sure it doesn't turn into a nationalist festival type event....

Although they have decided more generally that it should be a celebration of Scottishness, rather than a simple anniversary of the Battle.

squamatus

Re:

Postby squamatus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Anthony of the MSS wrote:Sorry I may have misunderstood but my reading was it was 40k for the bannockburn event as opposed to the armed forces day.

It's a fair cop - that was my mis-reading of the post. :crazy:

I suppose that if 70,000 people are to be drawn to the area for the National Armed Forces Day (subject to whatever the differences are in audience catchment areas between Nottingham & Stirling) then it could turn out to be beneficial for the Sunday of the Bannockburn event through people staying on for the whole weekend. To properly benefit from this, both events could even consider cross-advertising rather than becoming bitter rivals... but maybe war has already been declared.

Robin Brown

Legio VIII Augusta MGV
http://roman.org.uk

Mart

Postby Mart » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:05 am

not sure sure about this a few months ago we recieved an email from someone claiming to be assisting organise the event via our website no less asking if we wished to participate

I asked nicely where would they like the machine guns placed how much ammo do we get per day and wouldn't this slightly contradict history :P

seemed a desperate action to involve ANY re-enactors regardless of what part of history they represent, although it may have been an honest mistake.......ahem :)

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:53 am

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Earl Mortimer

Postby Earl Mortimer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm

40,000 joe public?

Yep I can believe it because I've just holidayed in Scotland and had to force myself through loads of foreign tourists, at every histrionic site I went too. :thumbdown:

The Swords Of Mercia Society
http://www.swordsofmercia.co.uk/
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk/

Earl Mortimer

Postby Earl Mortimer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I would like to say that after just coming back from holidaying there. I was very impressed with historical Scotland and Scottish NT on their sites and how they presented the history. Neutral and based on facts.

SNT Bannockburn site was closed for this year. Getting ready for next year, which I'm sure will be a real good show.
Everything is within spitting distance, Stirling castle , Stirling bridge and Bannockburn so I'm sure people will be able to see all events that weekend ( battle and arm forces).

We were told whilst in Stirling that all hotels around, are fully booked for the Bannockburn celebrations weekend.

The Swords Of Mercia Society
http://www.swordsofmercia.co.uk/
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk/

Thor Ewing
Location: now based on the Welsh border, I travel to events all over the UK and beyond

Postby Thor Ewing » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Y'all prob'ly know this anyway but National Trust for Scotland are looking for a Battle Co-ordinator.

Salary: £17,200

Closing date: Friday 20 September 2013

Description
The key purpose of this post is to ensure that visitors to the Battle Room at the Bannockburn Visitor Centre have an enjoyable, entertaining, and educational visit, whether as participants in the Battle Simulator or as spectators. To this end, the post supervises visitor flow through the Battle Room as per the Centres viewing arrangements, engages with visitors, runs the Simulator, and re-sets the area at the end of each battle ready for the next inflow of participants. This post also plays an important role in wider advocacy of the property, and will participate in other on-site and off-site learning/interpretation activities as required.

Full details here: http://is.gd/288Gq7

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:04 am

Aaaaand it's Clanranald doing the battle and village!

Ayliffe's Steve

Postby Ayliffe's Steve » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm

guthrie wrote:Aaaaand it's Clanranald doing the battle and village!

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

We are the GCoT - you will be assimilated.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:54 pm

I thought that had been established by page 2?

"I never said that I was here to help."

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:

We were told otherwise before this latest announcement.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:07 pm

guthrie wrote:
Medicus Matt wrote:

We were told otherwise before this latest announcement.

Really? By whom?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Scott McMaster came round Chatelherault and told us they were looking to appoint someone to manage the re-enactors and I think (although my memory is pants so I might be wrong about it) that included setting up the battle, and it hadn't been decided who yet. Not that I know who applied or what the bidding process was.
Questions have been asked of Clanranald regarding various things like kit, what training they want and so on. We'll see what the answers are.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:41 pm

That wouldn't be consistent with statements he's made in public, would it?
(See the press statements in the early part of this thread).

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Fox wrote:That wouldn't be consistent with statements he's made in public, would it?
(See the press statements in the early part of this thread).

You mean like the stuff from the Parliament COmmittee? Hmmmmmm.

Anthony of the MSS

Postby Anthony of the MSS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:26 am

45,000 Mops is a Helluva lot of MOPs.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:17 pm

So The City of Stirling won the bid to host Armed Forces Day on 28th of August and three months later people have just realised there might be an issue? Hardly a 'bolt out of the blue' Mr Leader of the SNP group. Didn't any one point out 'hey isn't that the same date as the 700th anniversary of something?'.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Some one some where needs sacking.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm

John Waller wrote:So The City of Stirling won the bid to host Armed Forces Day on 28th of August and three months later people have just realised there might be an issue? Hardly a 'bolt out of the blue' Mr Leader of the SNP group. Didn't any one point out 'hey isn't that the same date as the 700th anniversary of something?'.

It was probably a deliberate clash, that's what other people have suggested. Distract from the Bannockburn stuff. Or rather, do the council want to appear like idiots, for not noticing the clash, or like calculating politicians, for placing it on the same date?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 pm

The Scotsman is a well known unionist tabloid, which probably explains the phrasing of the headline.

Anyone know how many usually attend Armed Forces day's elsewhere in the country? I saw 50,000 suggested, which sounds impossible unless they're getting some headline music acts in as well....

EwanDoc

Postby EwanDoc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:08 pm

As a group we're not attending the Bannockburn event. I, personally, have heard very little of this in Scottish Re-enactment circles, I've actually learnt more reading this thread then from anywhere else.

I'd like to see more specifics on kit requirements and what exactly is expected in these 40 minute presentations.

Assistant Battle Director
Carrick 800 Battle Re-enactment Society

ceilteach_kitten

Postby ceilteach_kitten » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

The group I'm a member of also isn't participating. Unfortunately the level of commitment that is demanded is just too much for a group of people with full time jobs!! I'm interested to see how many reenactors ill actually participate over the event!

Return to “1100-1500”