Attaching Sleeves to Chainmail shirts

Moderator: Moderators

Simon Fryer

Attaching Sleeves to Chainmail shirts

Postby Simon Fryer » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi all,
I have a bit of a request, I am currently making 2 chainmail shirts, but I have a problem, how to attach the sleeves with a seemless tube, but I want to reduce the amount of rings on the sleeve as i go. The other problem I have is my sleeve rings run in the same direction as the main body of the shirt. I can reduce rings 1 way, thats not a problem but it is the wrong way for the sleeve. Is there any way of reducing the rings on the wrong side of the links. my shirt body runs the following way...
(((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))) <~~~~~ I need to reduce rings this side not top and bottom !
(((((((((((((((((((((((((
)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I hope that this makes sense as I am a little confused myself :)

Langley
Post Centurion

Re: Attaching Sleeves to Chainmail shirts

Postby Langley » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Do you mean reducing the number of rows - you show 4. I think you could reduce 5 to 3 by connecting a single ring across 1st and fifth rather than one across first and third and third and fifth. You could phone either the Wallace or Museum of London and ask top speak to their mail conservators both of whom know how patterns work for maille from studies of the real thing. The chap at MOL counted every ring in the garments in Wallace when he worked there so probably could answer the question in his sleep.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am

Not really sure - are you talking about attaching sleeves to the body, or tapering sleeves?

Normally I'd expect to see there to be no special 'join' between the sleeves and body - so if the shirt is laid out with the arms to the sides giving a T shape, the direction of the weave is constant through the sleeves and body.

So then if you want to taper the sleeves, you split it up the arm (preferably underneath where it would join to the underarm) and you can 'step' each side of the split - but try to step them alternately so that you're trying to join a step to a straight and not step-to-step - or else when finished, the sleeve itself will look stepped.

Oh and do most of the tapering on the forearm, otherwise you won't be able to bend your elbow!

<Edit> - see if I can describe it better.. (O's represent links - only showing alternate here - assime there are intermediate rows laid the other way.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - row1
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO - row2
OOOOOO - row3

OO - row4 etc..
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So from the left, you'll start with using one new link to join the first two two links in row4 with the two directly above them from row 3 giving you a 4-in-1.

Then join the 4/5th link in row 5 with the 4/5th in row 3. (or it may be 3/4th - can't remember - you will have to try both and see what goes best) And to smooth the step, add a single link to join the 2nd link on row 4 with the 2nd/3rd on row5 - if you follow. And continue.

Note that it does take some judgement and trial/error to be able to taper to the correct degree and there may be an instance where you just have to match a step with a step to get enough taper.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Simon, where do you live?

This is quite simple to do, but rather tricky to explain.

Certainly Langley's description is the right way to do it, I'm not sure that I follow Biro's as well. Biro is correct when he says that most of the taper is in the forearm, you might also want to consier putting in a 'bag' for the elbow (that is a brief expansion, followed by contraction, in both directions) to give you good movement. Finally, be careful not to bring it in too sharpley. You'll never want to do more contraction than 1 reduction in every 2 rows (i.e. if you reduce this row, don't reduce the next) and you'll probably want 1 in 4 or greater for a sleeve. I'd also consider off-setting the reductions, so that they 'spiral round the sleeve', rather than being in a straight line, or it could look seamed, as Biro warned.

Best of luck

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Like Biro said.

Going from memory you have to take 2 rows out at a time- one in each direction. Where the rows are taken out the first link on either side will be joined to 3 links and going in the same direction. These are both interlinked so that they now are joined to 4 in total. The next row on switches back to alternating rows so you just join them together. You can then continue with one less row. This method means you do't get holes at the expansion, which is important with armour.

Watch out for the switch over in direction of the links. Invisible on butted or all rivetted but bloody annoying on half rivetted.

Simon Fryer

Postby Simon Fryer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Post by Colin Middleton » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:43 pm
Simon, where do you live?

Hi Colin I live in Somerset, I think I get Langlys way of doing it.... Cheers for that Langly :), but like Biro said, doing it the way he explained, you can get a nasty seem, which is why I tgook my sleeves off my old shirt having, more experiance now at making mail, I am trying to remake it. It is pain in the bvackside, as if the rows ran the other way, reducing is so simple as well as expanding, asn you make a jump ring, like in a coif. I will give it a go over the next couple of n inside dia ringsights, see what i get. The 2 shirts I am doing have differant size rings, My shirt is made from 6.35mm (1/4") inside dia rings, and the other is made form 9.5mm id rings, so i might try on the 9.5 first as being bigger rings it might make it easier to detach if I make a mistake, then follow the pattern on my own shirt. Cheers for the replky everyone, I will let you know how I get on :)
Simon

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

If you'd been within a tollerable distance, I'd have invited you to vist and I'd take you through the 2 types of expansion, they're both pretty easy. Unfortunately Somerset isn't local at all. :(

I'll try to 'russle up' some photos of what Langley's talking about incase they can help.

Good luck with it.

Colin

Simon Fryer

Postby Simon Fryer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Cheers Colin,

Between all those that replied, I have managed to work it out and it is looking good, I used your idea to work it round the sleeve so it doesnt notice. I needed to reduce quickly so I picked 4 points round the sleeve and then added a few rows then reduced again in 4 differant points, all I have to do now is to make the sleeve longer then do the other 1. :)

I appreciate the time you have spent replying to my posts Colin and might pick your brains on another subject as my friend has asked me to make a mail skirt, but wants it attached to a belt. I have a good idea how to rivit it, ( i can get any size stainlees bar I want from work for rivits) but it might need some trial and error to see if it will work, if not I might ask you LOL.

Simon

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:42 pm

I've found a good way to attach a mail skirt to your belt. It's a lot of effort, but seems really robust.

Best wishes

Colin

Colin

Return to “1100-1500”