Research sources for Welsh 1294 uprising?

Moderator: Moderators

AngelaQ

Research sources for Welsh 1294 uprising?

Postby AngelaQ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello,

I'm writing a novel set during the Welsh uprising in 1294-95 and I wanted to see if there were any books, pamphlets, documents that might shed light on specific troop movements and events happening during that time? Specifically I'm interested in the siege of Castell y Bere. I have some general history books focused on the Welsh Wars against Edward I. I did find a talk given in the 50s titled "The Revolt of Madog ap Llywelyn, 1294-5" but was hoping to find something more recent.

Thanks!
Angela

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: Research sources for Welsh 1294 uprising?

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:42 pm

As this happened in this part of Wales (i.e Mid Wales) allow me to offer to some suggestions

Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies, Vol.58 (published in the winter of 2009) has an article called "The Penmachno Letter Patent and the Welsh Uprising of 1294-95"

There is an account of the uprising in the Welsh History Review (Volume 6, Numbers 1-4) published in 1972 - 1973 of which a copy is held at the National Library in Aberystwyth

And if you fancy a visit, I dare say that any of the stewards of Harlech Castle will be able to give you a full depth insight into the rebellion

AngelaQ

Re: Research sources for Welsh 1294 uprising?

Postby AngelaQ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Henri De Ceredigion wrote:As this happened in this part of Wales (i.e Mid Wales) allow me to offer to some suggestions

Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies, Vol.58 (published in the winter of 2009) has an article called "The Penmachno Letter Patent and the Welsh Uprising of 1294-95"

There is an account of the uprising in the Welsh History Review (Volume 6, Numbers 1-4) published in 1972 - 1973 of which a copy is held at the National Library in Aberystwyth

And if you fancy a visit, I dare say that any of the stewards of Harlech Castle will be able to give you a full depth insight into the rebellion

Thank you! I will look these up!

Return to “1100-1500”