Research Help

Moderator: Moderators

Paul D

Research Help

Postby Paul D » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I am searching (in vain up to now), for a copy of two Royal Charters granted to Kelvedon in 1312, enabling the holding of a Market and a Fair. I have tried the National Archives, SEAX, Essex County Records and am running out of ideas. Can anyone, better at research tha I (which is probably most people) PLEASE help?

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Re: Research Help

Postby Merlon. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 am

The National Archive page on Markets and Fairs indicates the details will be found either in the Charter Rolls, Patent Rolls or Close Rolls.
The Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England and Wales to 1516 referred to on the above web page gives the details
gazeteer wrote:KELVEDON 5856 2185. 1334 Subsidy £50.13.
M
(Charter) Thurs; gr 28 May 1312, by K Edw II to John Filiol (CChR, 1300–26, pp. 191–2). By another charter on the same day the king granted a Mon market to the same. It is possible that the market was to be held on both Mon and Thurs, or that one charter was intended to supersede the other.
F
(Charter) Mon after Whitsunday+2 (Easter dep); gr 28 May 1312, by K Edw II to John Filiol (CChR, 1300–26, pp. 191–2). By another charter on the same day the king granted a fair on vfm Whitsunday to the same.

So that indicates you can find details in the Calendar of Charter Rolls either in the National Archives or a decent reference library with a set of Calendar Books. I doubt those records are available online without the payment of a fee.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for this Merlon. I have already tried the Charter Rolls which gives SOME info but they are unable to tell me where the Charter is )or even if it exists. I seem to be going around in circles. It is SOO frustrating.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 pm

What are you trying to achive, the wording of the charter or the location of the original charter?
The wording of the charters is fairly standard and the charter rolls will only contain the salient points of the charter.
The location of the original charter, assuming it still exists, would be a much harder task.

randallmoffett
Location: Currently Northern Utah, Formerly Southampton and York

Postby randallmoffett » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Also might be worth looking at the previous entries as often they give a list of such Charters in the royal rolls. I did not find much in the Patent Rolls for Kelvedon when I looked but I admit to using a search function so it may be there. Many of the collections are scanned so not always best for search engines. As well try looking under other spellings. I have seen it spelled Kelevedon and all sorts of things.

RPM

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Merlon. wrote:What are you trying to achive, the wording of the charter or the location of the original charter?
The wording of the charters is fairly standard and the charter rolls will only contain the salient points of the charter.
The location of the original charter, assuming it still exists, would be a much harder task.

Trying to find the original Charter as I need a copy of it. You're right, it is very hard trying to trace it and I amfast running out of ideas.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 pm

randallmoffett wrote:Also might be worth looking at the previous entries as often they give a list of such Charters in the royal rolls. I did not find much in the Patent Rolls for Kelvedon when I looked but I admit to using a search function so it may be there. Many of the collections are scanned so not always best for search engines. As well try looking under other spellings. I have seen it spelled Kelevedon and all sorts of things.

RPM

Thanks for this. yeah I have seen about six different spellings for Kelvedon. I will search under them (not that I hold out any great hope).

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

The Calendar tells you the roll and membrane within that roll on which the charter is written.
You should be able to view it at the PRO, its in the C53 series. Assuming you have a readers ticket, it should be relatively easy to arrange access.
What difficulties were you experiencing in gaining access?
At the risk of teaching grandfather to suck eggs, your Latin skills will be up to the task?

The period spelling of the manor is Kellevedene.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:55 pm

Merlon. wrote:The Calendar tells you the roll and membrane within that roll on which the charter is written.
You should be able to view it at the PRO, its in the C53 series. Assuming you have a readers ticket, it should be relatively easy to arrange access.
What difficulties were you experiencing in gaining access?
At the risk of teaching grandfather to suck eggs, your Latin skills will be up to the task?

The period spelling of the manor is Kellevedene.

Have now found some stuff in the National Archives, They will copy it for me at a cost of £52 (ouch), and no my latin is not up to much but i have a friend .... Still don't know if the info I have traced will contain the original charter though. Time will tell.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Obviously you'll have looked into this but surely the local history lot would have sought this out a long time ago? Its just the sort of research local worthies will have been doing since the end of the 19th cent.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 am

Mark Griffin wrote:Obviously you'll have looked into this but surely the local history lot would have sought this out a long time ago? Its just the sort of research local worthies will have been doing since the end of the 19th cent.

Absolutely Mark, but they have come up empty handed too. It is so frustrating as surely the charter is out there somewhere? I know a lot didn't survive but there are references in fairly recent documents that refer to it, but I am fast running out of ideas where to look. (You may have gathered I am NOT a researcher).

Thanks for your comment as ever.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm

As the charter was issued to John Filiol , then iit will be in his descendants papers rather than any municipal archives. Of course that assumes the decendants exist and they retained intact family and manoral papers

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am

Merlon. wrote:As the charter was issued to John Filiol , then iit will be in his descendants papers rather than any municipal archives. Of course that assumes the decendants exist and they retained intact family and manoral papers

Thanks for this. Trying to trace them at present as another line of enquiry.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Of course you might find that it all went up in 1381 when the goodly rioters of Essex burnt whatever documents they could find to prevent paying taxes. The county lost more than any other, although conversley i dind the records office is remarkably well stocked.

As someone in the middle of vat and tax returns, I know where they were coming from.....

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 am

Know what you mean. I found one Joel Filliol (Canada) but unfortunately - no direct link. Think I may give up soon.

Return to “1100-1500”