Pinning bones and files

Moderator: Moderators

Charles13

Pinning bones and files

Postby Charles13 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:31 pm

I've been playing around for a while now making medieval pins (largely based on some 15th century examples found in York). This is something that I would like to do at shows but currently dont have any equipment. I am for starters wanting to make a pinning bone, and have seen some lovely examples in the Yorkshire museum. However I am unsure as to what bone I want - from what I can tell they look like some sort of ankle bone but I'm not sure from what animal. I've had a few experiments with various bones but have found them all to be too thin. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Secondly I would also like a 'decent' file (late medieval in style), but most of what I see at fairs are very crude very rough files I wouldnt use for the roughest of filing jobs never mind trying to sharpen a pin! Does anyone know of anyone who makes good historical tools not the usual next to useless tat!

Charles

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Re: Pinning bones and files

Postby guthrie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm

Andy Kirkham makes good stuff, usually a waiting time though. And he doesn't have a website, you can see him at Torm usually.
There's more, but I can't recall them.

Lena

Postby Lena » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 am

The bones are ususally long bones from cattle or horse. For cattle the most common bones are the metacarpals and metatarsals, as these bones are not covered in muscles and therefore not chopped up for meat cuts. Metacarpals and metatarsals (also known as metapodials, when you don't need to distinguish which are the fore limb and which are the hind limb) are the lowermost part of the legs, just above the feet. See if your local butcher might get some for you. Or perhaps you need to contact a slaughterhouse.

Best of luck,
Lena

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm

There's a guy in Darnall who makes Viking and Medeival tools. Chris from KIBS has a file that he made in his barber surgeon's kit. He normally trades on e-bay as daegrad-tools (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/daegrad-tools ... 7675.l2559).

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Charles13

Postby Charles13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks I had a feeling they were metatarsals - or similar (more familiar with the ones from long extint beasies - but forms remain similar), I know a butcher who slaughters his own animals so will have a word.

Colin, I'm aware of deangrad (whatever) tools, and to be honest am not overy impressed with a lot of it. For pin making I really need a fine file, otherwise it catches and rags rather than smoothly files. I'd prefer it if I could find someone capable of making something fine and period authentic rather than using a modern one. Just seems a lot of what I can find is from the school of 'well they werent that good at making things in the olden days this lumpy thing will be fine'! Will have a chat with 6 of 1.

Oh, anyone know what form soldering irons took in the late medival (14th-15th centuries), as most of the pins I've seen from digs appear to have either a piece of wire wrapped around the top (held on with solder) or a blob of solder. My natural instinct is to say a piece of metal with a wooden handle - stick it in the fire to get hot - but am having problems finding any mention of them anywhere. If not soldered the end falls off - so if anyone knows anything about this that would be good.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Medieval files generally are not great, but do the job. Learning to make one is an eye opener on various useful processes. Daegrads stuff is ok but can be a bit hit or miss and as has been pointed out, he's an eBay seller so no try before feel. He doesn't seem to take commissions either. Any of the smiths mentioned regularly on here will be able to do one for you.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 pm

He does take commissions, but you may need to catch him in person to sort that out. Similarly you can buy from him in person if you live near Sheffield, as I've bumped into him at a few events.

He's very low profile as he does this as a hobby, rather than professionally.

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

steven pole
Post Centurion

Postby steven pole » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Red Dog Forge is a decent chap to talk with about tools.

Return to “1100-1500”