men at arms shield designs??

Moderator: Moderators

mokker123

men at arms shield designs??

Postby mokker123 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello all, i am trying to build a 1350-1370 man at arms kit, with pieces coming together including a shield.
Im having a heater shield, but have a religious message on the edges round the shield instead of any sort of heraldry. Does anyone know a decent message to use and possible examples to inspire from perhaps???

cloudy-cola-corp

Re: men at arms shield designs??

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth
and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.

We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

for I am God's instrument

five minuets in the book of revelations with the king james version of the bible...

Neil of Ormsheim

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm

23rd psalm in either latin or greek

"yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil"

etc. Not King James version - he's FAR too late.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Michal

Postby Michal » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:27 am

Psalm 91:7
"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand: but it shall not come nigh thee"
King James

"Cadent a latere tuo mille et decem milia a dextris tuis ad te autem non adpropinquabit"
Vulgata

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 am

Luke 23:43
Et dixit illi Iesus amen dico tibi hodie mecum eris in paradiso

"And he said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise"

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:24 pm

O! Vox! Escarpe mes terra! (Oye! Get orff my land!)

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Its more likely to be a latin phrase than English. You don't get much English in heraldic sources much before the 1420s and then its pretty rare.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”