Patent Rolls or Patent Letters of Nobility

Moderator: Moderators

Graham Ashford

Patent Rolls or Patent Letters of Nobility

Postby Graham Ashford » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am

Hi there I wondered if anyone can help.

I am getting together a few calligraphy jobs for the winter evenings and started to wonder about Letters patent of Nobility or Patent Rolls. I've only heard of them before and have been trying to find whether they even existed in the 14th century as I would love to reproduce one, if I can. However the more I look into it the more I am wondering whether or not they existed as such in the mid 14th century, surely there must have been some level of paperwork that existed at knighthood or other similar ceremonies? I suspect (hope) that the lack of evidence is more due to my limited resources than them not existing. Can any help point me in the correct direction?

Kindest regards and thanks for any help

Graham

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Patent Rolls or Patent Letters of Nobility

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am

The MoL used to have one on display, late-ish 15th though if memory serves.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 pm

My understanding is that the first decrees of nobility (the patent letters you mention) were produced in the very late 1300s. Previously all things connected with knighthood were a complete shambles - no documentation, no heraldry regulator, no control of any kind. Chaos and confusion reigned - the heraldic law case of Grosvenor versus Scrope that lasted from 1385 to 1390 being symptomatic of the whole thing; both carried azure a bend or and there is no evidence that anyone allocated their heraldry - they just made it up themselves. Turned out there was another knight carrying exactly the same arms - Carminow of Cornwall (but the lawyers got round that by declaring Cornwall a foreign country so it didn't matter).

I wonder when Cornwall was legally returned to England?

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Some say it never has...mostly anyone living West of the Taymar!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

behanner

Postby behanner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am

The earliest I was able to find is consistent with Ranulf's statement from July 1 1389. It is printed in the Foedera.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

If only that little mishap at Blackheath hadn't occurred....

Return to “1100-1500”