Detling Medieval?

Moderator: Moderators

Tiddles

Detling Medieval?

Postby Tiddles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

What is happening with Detling regarding the Medieval camp/display?

We are planning to go with the Gun Company but cannot get a clear answer from anyone as to whether there will be an guns going are any Medieval presence at all :?

All I get is a lot of unhelpful rumours which change from person to person :roll:

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Re: Detling Medieval?

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

Tiddles wrote:We are planning to go with the Gun Company....

Do they even exist anymore? Who knew?

Presumably, if that's who you're going with then they should answer the question for you.
They should do that by speaking to the organisers, either of the medieval part, or the overall event, as appropriate.

Surely there's a risk that any information you pick up on here will also be "unhelpful rumours".

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

john - no rumours. i told you what i knew.

EKHO were organising the medieval as the Woodvilles couldn't get enough bodies.

I was providing the livinghistory encampment and guns.

I'm not sure what group Ferret and Ironhead are in but they normally turn up with bodies.

Last I heard that the site had moved around and we were concerned that it wouldn't be safe to use cannon or missile weapons were they moved us to.

I've not heard anything about what is happening either, even asking the organisor doesn't get response.

Andy

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 pm

I know for a fact that the Woodvilles are not attending. It was a good payer for us, but fewere and fewer people were going to it , largely down to it being quite boring when no-one came into our LH camp, or when they did U-turned when they realised we were not WWII types :( .

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Fox wrote:
Tiddles wrote:We are planning to go with the Gun Company....

Do they even exist anymore? Who knew?

Ah, I googled them to see, and thier website is still up, looks like the one Ulrich von Beck built, althouth it lists Laurie Wignal as the webmaster - appears untouched since 2000. Nice bit of internet history there. Anyone heard from Ulrich / Paul in the last decade or so?

http://guncompany.freeservers.com/fsguestbook.html

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I know for a fact that the Woodvilles are not attending. It was a good payer for us, but fewere and fewer people were going to it , largely down to it being quite boring when no-one came into our LH camp, or when they did U-turned when they realised we were not WWII types :( .

having been there for many years and had plenty of people walking in interested. plus brought medieval to other MVT events you meant promptly u-turned when they realise the inhabitants were too busy making cheese........ actually sophia's cheese making was very well appreciateed by the MOPS as most years we tried to camp on the pathway and not hide away. then again when you set up a display and another person dumps an empty tent in front of you what hope is there?

I spoke to James Dad at the weekend about Detling. I'm not sure that we will have enough room, I doubt that half of the "medievals" such as the legendary gun company will come down and help in the camp as history suggests they will sit in the plastic tents all day talking about their service in the SAS or but we are going anyway. Even if it meens I spend the day doing ww2 and we just have some empty tents with a line of rusting cannons on display.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:46 pm

acecat999 wrote:
Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I know for a fact that the Woodvilles are not attending. It was a good payer for us, but fewere and fewer people were going to it , largely down to it being quite boring when no-one came into our LH camp, or when they did U-turned when they realised we were not WWII types :( .

having been there for many years and had plenty of people walking in interested. plus brought medieval to other MVT events you meant promptly u-turned when they realise the inhabitants were too busy making cheese........ actually sophia's cheese making was very well appreciateed by the MOPS as most years we tried to camp on the pathway and not hide away. then again when you set up a display and another person dumps an empty tent in front of you what hope is there?

I spoke to James Dad at the weekend about Detling. I'm not sure that we will have enough room, I doubt that half of the "medievals" such as the legendary gun company will come down and help in the camp as history suggests they will sit in the plastic tents all day talking about their service in the SAS or but we are going anyway. Even if it meens I spend the day doing ww2 and we just have some empty tents with a line of rusting cannons on display.

I saw Bob (Ironhead) and Graham (Ferret) at Mid-Fest last week.

Bob is not sure what is going on regarding Detling and Graham said he is doing Herstmonceux.

We will defiantly be at Detling as Roy Alan has said we can go as part of his group. We do not have any living history kit but will do our best to help with the public and keep a Medieval presence at Detling. We hope to have our black powder tickets by then and I will have my Hungarian bow.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 am

well. unless MO tickets arrive there won't be anyone else.

Return to “1100-1500”