Armoured martial arts (HEMA) in Guildford

Moderator: Moderators

Matt Easton

Armoured martial arts (HEMA) in Guildford

Postby Matt Easton » Thu May 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi all,
I thought I’d put a little note up here as there may be some interested folks round these parts.

For 11 years I’ve been running Schola Gladiatoria in London (www.fioredeiliberi.org), focussing on medieval unarmoured martial arts, mostly dagger and longsword (and Victorian sabre). Those weekly classes are ongoing.

However, for a long time I have wanted to do 15thC armoured HEMA on foot (not mounted) as well, and for a few years now I have owned a more or less full harness that doesn’t get much use. So I have decided to get a small group of people together in Guildford, Surrey, once a month to go through some armoured HEMA training – that is, practicing techniques shown in the medieval combat treatises. At least to start with this will be fairly unofficial and I’d like to aim for doing something about once a month, probably on a Sunday morning. I can hire space in a sports centre or we can train outside, depending on the weather.

If you are interested then you’ll need a few things:
- A fair amount of plate armour and a helmet with a closed face or visor, and preferably mail voiders/shirt underneath
- A reasonable degree of health/fitness
- A willingness to train in a safe and friendly manner, and be taught some techniques from period treatises

Our overall aim will be to get a better understanding of and ability at using original armoured fighting techniques, rather than just pointlessly bashing armour.

To start with we will probably use blunt HEMA weapons and or wooden/nylon HEMA weapons. I have enough of these for my regular unarmoured classes for you to borrow if you don’t have them. We will probably deal with three weapons to start with – spear, longsword and dagger.

If you are interested in meeting up with us then drop me a message here or send me an email at schola-gladiatoria@hotmail.co.uk

On a related note, if you are interested in this then you may also be interested in FightCamp in August, where there will be at least 3 classes on armoured combat: www.fightcamp.co.uk

Cheers,
Matt

Adam R

Re: Armoured martial arts (HEMA) in Guildford

Postby Adam R » Thu May 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Good stuff Matt - hope it goes well!

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Matt Easton

Postby Matt Easton » Thu May 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks Adam, I already have two guys interested, plus one of my Schola guys getting armoured up.

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Thu May 31, 2012 5:12 pm

I propose we wait a while and then have an armoured fighting get together somewhere. I know Mark L would be up for that too, there are a few of mine who could join the fun...

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 am

Way to go Matt!
DOn't forget to get your armour to FC!

Matt Easton

Postby Matt Easton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am

It will be there - I hope you have a visor for your sallet? :).

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Matt Easton wrote:It will be there - I hope you have a visor for your sallet? :).
Nope - but I'm a man with a plan. And a second visored sallet...

Return to “1100-1500”