sallet construction query

Moderator: Moderators

BYDAND

sallet construction query

Postby BYDAND » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

hello good folk, I am trying to find out about acceptable construction techniques when making a sallet helm. I have seen versions that have been made out of one piece, oh my god 8-) , and I have seen sallets that are welded, more commonly. Would it be acceptable to join a sallet along the centre ridge line with a separate plate that would rivet the two scull plates together?

Please let me know if you know of actual historical reasoning for this not to be acceptable as opposed to just personal opinion if you don't mind :roll:

James

Bespoke armour made by BYDAND Armouries.

Adam R

Re: sallet construction query

Postby Adam R » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi,
I don't recall ever seeing riveted construction for 15C armour where the rivet wasn't providing some degree of articulation. So whilst welded sallets look right (from the outside) a riveted one would look wrong.
Unless someone has come across one? but if they had it would be an exception!
Cheers

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Matt Easton

Postby Matt Easton » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 pm

As Adam says, it just wasn't really done. Not to say it never was, but I have never seen an example in reality or art. Riveting plates to make a helmet bowl was really old technology in Western Europe by the 15thC. You might have still seen it on 'poorer' helmets like kettle hats, but highly unlikely on sallets.

As for why - primarily because armourers were churning out one-piece helmet bowls by the thousand by that date. If you can do that in quantity it is pretty pointless making a spangenhelm.

BYDAND

Postby BYDAND » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks guys, this has given me some confidence in my own research. I think that is my query answered, . . .
Unless anyone has anything contradictory to tell us? no?

jolly good!

Bespoke armour made by BYDAND Armouries.

Return to “1100-1500”