where are the HYW groups ?

Moderator: Moderators

Brian la Zouche

where are the HYW groups ?

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:45 pm

after looking into a few periods i find im really interested in the HYW

i portray an archer but also quite like the idea of covering as a frenchie from time to time

after just reading a post from someone who also likes HYW but joined a WOTR group, and now finds himself not completely happy, which was a route i nearly took, i thought i'd post on here

i have spoken/ met a few groups who cover the HYW, but most seem to be half a dozen fellas who do 1 on 1 combat ( all were really friendly and helpfull i may add )

i know being an archer will be limited on small shows but happy to sit around camp and help in anyway needed, i can fletch ( after a fashion ), and have a working knowledge of archery

i live in ashby dela zouch and am taking early retirement in april, which frees up my work commitments but limits my traveling money etc, so traveling to john o groats or lands end each weekend is not really practical £ wise, but likewise i do not expect to find a group on my doorstep

im fully kitted out, and try to be authentic, so doc martin/ sweat pant brigades are not really my scene,

details / contacts/ site of any groups most welcome

EnglishArcher

Re: where are the HYW groups ?

Postby EnglishArcher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 am

If you haven't already done so, get yourself over to Agincourt this summer (see http://www.azincourt-alliance.org.uk for more details)

All the groups there are either exclusively, or have a component that is, HYW.

It's also one of the few events where the archers (almost!) outnumber the men-at-arms on the field!

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:52 pm

yep ive been on the site 3 years time gonna be a biggie :-) its just a shame they dont list member groups, ( unless they do and i cant find it )

cheers

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Contact them. They should have a list.

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Catherine of Gwent

Postby Catherine of Gwent » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 am

Hello Brian

There are a few of us in Wales, Montgomery Levy, Freemen of Gwent, Sons of the Dragon, Cardiff Garrison, but we are a long way from Leicestershire.

Sons of the Dragon and Freemen of Gwent are at Azincourt each year, so if you are there this year, come along and say hello.

Have you tried Team Falchion, who may be nearer to you? If you pm me I can send you a contact e-mail for them.

Cheers
Ann

The Freemen of Gwent
www.freemenofgwent.org.uk

GOGH

Postby GOGH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

HI Brian
There is a list of Groups and traders who have been to Azincourt on their website http://www.azincourt-alliance.org.uk you will find them on their links page. You can also use the site to book into the event in July.
All the Best
Luis

Meibion y Ddraig / Sons of the Dragon. Medieval Archers 100 year war and Owain Glyndwr rebellion

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 pm

many thanks going peek there now

cheers

Graham Field

Postby Graham Field » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Medieval Combat Society
14th Century Reenactment
http://www.themcs.org

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 am

thanks for that not many in the uk, and a dead link, well i say dead as last events list on one is 2007

looks like i may have to see about one of the Welsh groups

the reason i started this post came from someones previous post about getting into it properly, this seemed to stem from joining a group that didnt cover his exact period of interest, ( although other reasons too )

i have met some real great guys/ groups from the crusades to WOTR, and as nice as these people are, and excelent standards, knowing myself, to cover a period im not totally into would take the edge off it for me

i do not expect all shows to be within walking distance :-) but personal circumstances restict me from constant long hauls,

but one good event is better than 100 crap ones ( imo )

i guess the only way to build up a midlands base of fellow re-enactors with the same interest is for someone to bite the bullet

i have a few feelers out and awaiting responses

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Brian la Zouche,

They may be a little too far north but do give these guys a shout. I`m sure you will find them very welcoming.

http://www.armourialknights.co.uk/

:twisted:

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:59 pm

i spoke to some of these guys at tweks last year, yep very friendly bunch, in fact they are probby the closest as far as events go, i've dropped them a line and will take it from there

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Events and group do not need to match.
The bloke who runs the group I'm with lives 15 minutes away, most of the events we attend are in the Midlands, a couple of hours drive away.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 pm

yep in the past with ACW the groups main base changed from 2 hours away to like 30 mins, and event all over the country, which wasnt a problem then, however soon to be retired ( early ) cash flow will be more limited than in the past, and where as i'm happy to travel now and again, it would be nice to know it wouldnt involve mega traveling ALL the time

i have found loads a great guys and groups covering dark ages etc and of course WOTR, but as these are not really my period of history im interested in, it would have been nice to find a HYW group who does a few midlands events ( HYW ones not WOTR invites )

so i'll bite the bullet and have to join and travel,it just cuts back on the number of events i could make per year

but a couple of good ones, is better than none at all

Return to “1100-1500”