Re: what oil is best for a yew longbow please

Moderator: Moderators

thekingmaker

Postby thekingmaker » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:29 pm

i was bought a yew long bow for my birthday and it shots lovely.
My wife and me a bow bag from caleco which i keep it in unstrung when it not in use but as i am new at real longbow ( i mean made from wood) as my other bows iv had in the past have been recurve bows made of fiberglass so i need help in looking after my yew longbow as iv not had one before so can any one please help me out with advice on how to keep it good working order. i know you are ment to keep them oiled but i would like to know whats the best oil to use and how to put it on the bow .i mean do i pour it on the bow and let it soke in or do i pour the oil on a cloth and rub it on the bow that way as if i was polishing it :crazy: . i would also like to ask how often do you recomend i do i oil the bow.

and help will be great as i need it lol as im new to wooden bows and im going to stick to them as i find they shot better.

thanks for your time and i hope someone out there can help me out. :D

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 am

I've been told that oil will soften the wood. Best thing (if it isn't varnished) is to use beeswax: Melt some and dip a cloth in, allow to cool. Use bees-wax'd cloth to polish the bow. Friction will warm it enough to leave a thin layer, which will protect against damp and prevent the last vestiges of moisture drying out (so the bow remains flexible).

If it's varnished, jst dust it occasionally :D

For traditional care of the longbow, get a copy of Toxophilus by Roger Ascham.

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 am

Parafin ir diesel oil.

Soak liberally and apply match. Lovely and warm. Don't sit downwind as yew probably doesn't have nice smoke.

alfred the bowyer

Postby alfred the bowyer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Danish oil makes a good seal, and can be polished up with beeswax, keep the bow flat in a cool place or hang from one knock

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Celestino Poletti uses goose fat to seal his bows. Or you could go all 'Bronze Age' and use pig's blood, like Oetzi ('The Ice Man").

:D

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

drawknife

Postby drawknife » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Use boiled linseed oil (not raw linseed oil as it does not dry). It will not soften the wood.
Put a thin layer on with a lint free cloth, hang it up, let it dry overnight or until dry and rub with a dry cloth.
Do this every month and if it gets wet, dry it and do straight away. If it gets scratched do it straight away.
Beeswax goes cloudy after a while.

Honourius III

Postby Honourius III » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:06 pm

I have two bows over thirty years old anther one fifteen years old. I have never rubbed any oil into any of my bows. However I do re-varnish them when needed. A little tip to help with you bow when in its bag is to make a little cone shaped cap out of a scrap of leather to go over the knock. It will need cord tie long enough to go down around the bowstring and tie in a bow near the cap drawing the bow string tight. This will stop the string coming off when the bow is pulled out of its bag.
Good shooting

Return to “1100-1500”