Getting 'properly' into it

Moderator: Moderators

Brian la Zouche

Re: Getting 'properly' into it

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 am

on a sub note, being an archer, you could always turn your hand into archery related tasks, find out from someone in your group who can show you how to do safety checks on arrows, and offer to check the spines amd ensure the blunts and flecthings are well fitted, a lot dont bother whipping the flecthings ( clankies seem to enjoy making firewood ;-) ), so maybe get some linen thread and offer to put whippings on their arrows, wont cost much and with practise you should be able to get quite good at it = easy to do hard, to master ( by master i mean perfect everytime ) buy a few 1/2 shafts and bobtail them, all these sort of things will add a bit of interest to mops, even tho some tasks are re-enactment related, ie blunts.
or get into medieval heads and have a few on display,

best of luck with your re-enactment and i hope you find the group / period/ interest , that you enjoy

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Indeed. We started our group with a bit of an interest in the high middle ages (although probably not a clear and defined idea of what we wanted to do except that it should involve swords). but then the only invites we got were for WOTR events, so I learned more about the period and then found that once it was the period I knew most about it was the period I most wanted to do.

Having said that I am now increasingly interested in reenactment where you can have pockets.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:28 pm

lol @ pockets, gawd how i wish ciggies and coffe were around too :D

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:17 pm

offer to check the spines

Technical sidenote: for bows over about 100lb you don't really need to spine the arrows. As we say: "stiff enough is good enough" :-)

For military arrows weight and diameter are better indicators of compatibility than spine.

I try and match my arrows in weight as closely as possible; but I haven't spined an arrow in years.

So, spine-testing arrows, although a useful exercise for modern re-reactors and sport archers, would be out of place in period.

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:20 am

well as was for re-enactment i meant checking that none were split and likely to break, more than for any effect to their cast, and im led to believe 100lb draws are not allowed on most reenactment battles, like i said i was thinking more of helping the group on the re-enactment side

i also didnt mention bows, as id guess most people are like me , look on them as their lil babys, and dont want anyone messing with em :D

ginobrancazio

Postby ginobrancazio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 pm

You could always take up some historical games.

I made our group our own version of Kubb, we play it in all weather and it gets the public fascinated (and gives us something to do when all the wood is chopped!)
http://club.badbonn.ch/_data/kubb.jpg

I also made a version of Gluckhaus the german gambling game for playing on a table.
http://www.gothicgreenoak.co.uk/dice.html

bilbobaglin

Postby bilbobaglin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I've never managed to find anything to support the claims of Kubb's medieval origins. Yes, it does bear a passing resemblence to Kayles but I suspect that a lot of the claims are marketing dope. I can't find any references to it beyond the present era, and I can't find a credible source that puts it older than 1900. But that does not of course means it isn't that old, but just unlikely to be, which ain't good enough for me. Although I have to say it does look cool and I'd like to be convinced of it's authenticity so as to have a bash. (Anyone? Please?) :shifty:

Return to “1100-1500”