Maille gloves

Moderator: Moderators

uksimes
Post Knight

Maille gloves

Postby uksimes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 am

I have a thread in 'buy & sell', asking about maille gloves/ gauntlets that I can put on when I have run out of arrows, and want to use my sword. Several options have been bandied about, but I have now received a PM from someone, (with several thousand posts) stating that maille gloves are not in period for mid C15.
Comments, views, opinions, etc please, as I'm getting confused :crazy:

I'm a "bendy-stick wielding little sod", and proud of it!

Discourse ye unto the hand, for verily the face listeneth not.

Biro
Post Centurion

Re: Maille gloves

Postby Biro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 am

Can't speak for 15c, but for 12/13c they didn't really exist on their own either. They were (afaik) always part of the mail hauberk.

I'd be really surprised to see them start being used on their own in the 15c - especially with the advent of better (and more suited to individual pieces) plate armour.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

In the transcript of the Inventory of Sir John Fastolf (died 1459) there are references to

a payre glovys of mayle, of schepys skynne and of doos

as a cross reference mayle is also used in the context of mayle ventayletts to basinets, however i'm not sure if this is three pairs of gloves or two, one of sheep skin and the other of deer skin, both with maille protection

Page 270
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XzZF ... ts&f=false

"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I also like the reference to

cappes stuffyd with horne and sum withe mayle

"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

So, the next question is "How common were they?".

I've got them down as so rare as to almost not exist, but I look forward to being proved wrong.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:23 am

Ghost wrote:In the transcript of the Inventory of Sir John Fastolf (died 1459) there are references to
a payre glovys of mayle, of schepys skynne and of doos

Thanks for posting this Ghost - I had been looking to remember where I had heard of evidence of maille backed gloves, this was it.

Looking at the list it seems there are 6 pairs of gloves (item, vj payre glovys of mayle...) although whether they are an unspecified mix of the materials listed or whether all of them are sheepskin with doe skin and maille isn't possible to know for sure :(

I have used maille backed sheepskin gloves a lot over the years, they are one of my favourite bits of hand protection, I wonder if it means doe skin gloves with maille backed by sheepskin? This would be better than maille backed sheepskin gloves which are sweaty and not the best feel or grip, but would keep the flexible, shock-absorbant sheep skin between maille and hand...

Although, it may well be that the doe skin was used as the lining (as was common with medieval glove construction). Again this would reduce the 'sweaty' nature, although I gon't know how the feel would be, not that that would be the most important factor for what would be cheap military hand protection compared to the plate alternatives...

My inclination is to believe there were 6 pairs of maille gloves with some sort of construction of sheep and doe skin...

This book offers some insight into gloves - page 91/92

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xiqa ... &q&f=false
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 08.05.36.png
Screen shot of the free Google e-book :)

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Return to “1100-1500”