Tent choices

Moderator: Moderators

randallmoffett
Location: Currently Northern Utah, Formerly Southampton and York

Re: Tent choices

Postby randallmoffett » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 am

Not the one I had in mind but here is a fresco for the Palazzo Pubblico, Siena from 1328. I have seen German examples before but never seen this one until recently.

Medieval Shelters

Randall

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 am

I still think it would be good to have at least a few "rough and ready" shelters at events. I think there is a hurdle making course at the Chiltern Open Air Museum. I might see if I can do that and pack a few hurdles and stuff to cover. Can't promise actually to sleep in the thing though! I think anything which was done would have to be with material brought to site - at Berkley for example, the woods actually belong to someone else and he is known to disapprove of anyone wandering into them much less dragging bits away. Yes - many of the illustrations are European. In one I am thinking of there are apparently A-frame tent like structures covered with vegitation. There are also some large rectangular things but never sure if those are shelters (would be using hurdles if they are) or if they are just camped in a vinyard and what is shown are trained vines. We could at least show people what we think the common soldiery had to put up with whne the boss had a nice cosy monastery and his lieutenants had pavilions and burgundians. Soldiers tents of course refers to soldiers plural - we can point out that if they were lucky enough to have one it would be shared - just like a scount partol tent - and would not have any fancy furniture, just pallets if they were lucky.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 pm

That Simone Martini picture is a classic, showing huge and small tents/shelters.

May I suggest Artists and Warfare in the Renaissance, JR Hale, Yale press. Loads of images of soldiers on campaign and sheltered.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 am

For the Op - this is an example of the sort of shelter people have been mentioning. This one belongs to our group carpenter. As for having more soldiers' shelters, yes it would be nice but ultimately I can't see it happening on a wide scale. The re-enactment camp is a mass of compromises at the best of times - it is basically a tented village. To a certain extent it has to be that way, especially if we want to have women and children present. It's a medieval backdrop. Someone on another thread has posted words to the effect that most medieval re-enactment groups are littile more than costumed medievalesque camping clubs. A cheap and rather sarky gibe, but one with some truth in it. Thing is, a real WotR military camp would be a very boring place for the public to see - cos as those with any military experience will know you're either out on patrol, eating, cleaning weapons or sleeping. The group I'm in is mostly couples and now has three babies under twelve months, so shelters are frankly out of the question. That said, we are moving away from pavilions to campaign tents, soldiers tents and shelters for the craftspeople, so we're doing what we can.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 am

Here's the picture...
Attachments
DSC_0004.jpg

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I think that was my sarky comment, and I did more or less say exactly the same thing. A "real" medieval seige camp would be boring, dangerous and quite vile.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:41 pm

gregory23b wrote:That Simone Martini picture is a classic, showing huge and small tents/shelters.

May I suggest Artists and Warfare in the Renaissance, JR Hale, Yale press. Loads of images of soldiers on campaign and sheltered.

You may suggest it Jorge but...

From Amazon.

Artists and Warfare in the Renaissance by Jr Hale (Hardcover - 7 Nov 1990)
2 new from £83.02 10 used from £48.66

Probably why I have not got it in my personal library (from which my son borrowed 5 titles when doing his history masters).
Lets see what InterLibrary Loan can manage!

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I think that was my sarky comment, and I did more or less say exactly the same thing. A "real" medieval seige camp would be boring, dangerous and quite vile.

It honestly wasn't you Marcus - someone else entirely and on another thread.

travisball7

Postby travisball7 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:40 pm

I am not a huge fan of sleeping in tents, but these are very nice. I would love to take something like this camping, might get some weird looks in modern day.

Return to “1100-1500”