Leaking Tent

Moderator: Moderators

Honourius III

Leaking Tent

Postby Honourius III » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 am

Greetings all
I have a leaking tent, ;( Please can anyone recommend a good sealant.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Re: Leaking Tent

Postby Skevmeister » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:29 pm

If you have to cover a large area undiluted nik wax. If its a small area latex glue painted on outside

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:14 pm

As Skev has said Nik Wax is an excellent product. If it's a really big area of Canvas I find Storm Brush on Canvas Waterproofer is a wee bit cheaper (I paid about £13 for 2.5 litres)

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

nest

Postby nest » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:15 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but how often should a tent be re-waterproofed?

Nest

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 am

Depends on useage but every five years or so should be OK.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 am

nest wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but how often should a tent be re-waterproofed?

Nest

When it leaks. We have one about 25 years old, never re-proofed, and it don't leak.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:29 pm

MIne must be on its 5th or 6th season, no need to waterproof yet. I think it'll depend on the thickness and quality of the canvas, so get yourself a good heavy tent. One of the other tents we have is probably 9 or 10 years old and I've never heard of it being waterproofed.

m. demetrius

Postby m. demetrius » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Is it the whole tent, or just seams? If just seams, simply rub them with a plain old candle. Works fine to help seal the thread/needle holes.

Saepe veritas est dura.
David Wills
* Leg XF
* Cornuti Seniores
* Cohort V

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:05 am

I have tested out a concrete water repellent on about 2 foot sq of canvas - totally undiluted ! smeared the b**ger on in great dollops - left it a few days in the shed, bingo - works a treat - at £4 for 5 litres from wicks can't be bad -- will now try it out on a large section of my sail tent and see how that goes !

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:37 pm

what about the risk from flames? As we all know too well, when a tent without fire proofing goes up, it is a disaster within seconds.. look at Tewks or Tintagel, tents ignited and reduced to smouldering embers quicker than most can react. Best remedy i found for this over the years is to buy a good quality tent at the offset and expect it to have a finite lifespan.
Dave.

House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:17 pm

House of De Clifford wrote:what about the risk from flames? As we all know too well, when a tent without fire proofing goes up, it is a disaster within seconds.. look at Tewks or Tintagel, tents ignited and reduced to smouldering embers quicker than most can react. Best remedy i found for this over the years is to buy a good quality tent at the offset and expect it to have a finite lifespan.
Dave.

What, canvas tents? As far as I was aware, the tents burnt in the plastic camp at Tewkes a couple of years ago were plastic, not canvas.
I've tried setting fire to canvas to test how likely my furnace is to set the fire shelter on fire. Answer - not really.

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am

that is reassuring !! -- those flimsy nylon jobbies in plasti are not good at all the ones I have seen have the 'Do not expose to fame ' warning on them.

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Tintagel 3 years ago, canvas tent went up in seconds, i was there. Sterkshoff Belgium, Canvas tent reduced to ashes in what seemed like less than a minute, 2 inhabitants were lucky to escape without serious injury, saw that one with my own eyes too. Cant say about the one at Tewks, it may have been plastic as you say Guthrie but i have seen canvas tents go very quickly.
Sterkshoff one was particularly hairy as the tents were packed in very close together, the resultant panick and confusion was something i am not in a hurry to see again. The only way they prevented a tradgedy was by forcefully collapsing the tent and smothering. Very quick thinking by someone who had not been drinking as much as the rest!!
Dave.

House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

randallmoffett
Location: Currently Northern Utah, Formerly Southampton and York

Postby randallmoffett » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:26 pm

So do we have any methods of making canvas type tents fire resistant?

steven pole
Post Centurion

Postby steven pole » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:23 pm

I've done some testing of my own and found that nylon bursts into flame immediately but I had to hold a naked flame onto normal tent canvas for 10 seconds before it reached a flash point and burst into flame.

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 am

There was a fire in the plastic camp at Tewks. Have only seen one canvas fire with a brazier too close to an awning at Berkley. It was me who spotted it and raised the alarm. Seemed to be large flames leaping skywards but when we got the awning away from the source of heat and Bucket who was tall enough, doused with water there was actually remarkably little damage and it went out easily. If I recall correctly, water proofing like nikwax is also fire retardant but shoot me down in flames if you know better... It ay have had separate fireproofing but whatever - it was effective.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 am

Langley, I don't think its fireproof, but it is not pertochmical based so definatly doesn't increase the flamibility of the Canvas. This is exactly the reason why I use it. Its more expensive than alot of other solutions but definately on the safer end.

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Well if nikwax is based on ethylene vinyl acetate with stabilisers, as the internet suggests, that is an organic compound like a kind of plastic with extra bits, so flammable. Just not as immediately flammable as tar would be.

Saint Egregious

Postby Saint Egregious » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:25 am

If you want a safe and cheap fireproofing try BORIC ACID. Mix boric acid with water and just spray it on, let it dry and Robert's your mothers brother!

FLAME RETARDANT : Boron is an effective chemical flame retardant for an ample array of products. It is also used for wood, plywood, textile products, cotton, paper and cellulose.

http://chemicalland21.com/industrialche ... 20ACID.htm

http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/sci/A0808367.html

How to Fireproof With Borax

By Francis Walsh, eHow Contributor

We use many naturally occurring fire inhibiters every day. Some of them are used to put out the flames while others inhibit the spread of fire. One of the lesser known fire inhibitors available to the consumer is borax. Borax is a natural mineral mixture that is soluble in water and can reduce the spread of fire on properly treated surfaces.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions:

Things You'll Need

Borax

Boric acid

Sprayer

Wooden spoon

Measuring cup

Gloves

Pot

1. Put 4 cups of boric acid in a pot on the stove until it reaches 212 degrees (when the liquid begins to boil). Stir the boric acid as it reaches its boiling point and then lower the stove to a medium temperature range. Let the boric acid reduce its temperature for two minutes.

2. Pour 1 cup of dry borax into the boric acid and begin to mix them. Continue to add dry borax into the pan with heated boric acid until the boric acid is unable to absorb any more borax. You know you've saturated the boric acid completely when flakes of borax reach the bottom of the pan yet will not dissolve in the liquid.

3. Turn the stove off. While the liquid is still warm, fill a hand-pump, pressurized sprayer with the solution. Close and tighten the sprayer's lid and pump the handle to pressurize the air inside the sprayer.

4.Spray the fireproofing liquid on natural construction material like wood or fiber and other flammable materials. Four cups of solution should cover at least 1,000 square feet of surfaces.

5.Let the fireproofing solution dry completely before handling anything treated. The solution must be allowed to dry to get the benefit of the fire retardant properties. Apply more solution on surfaces that are in close proximity to potential fire sources.

From this site: http://www.ehow.com/how_5602322_fireproof-borax.html

Borax can be obtained from your local chemists or DIY store. Don't get hot, get Borax!

“Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.”

Return to “1100-1500”