A jack

Postby Tod » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I found this I don't know where it comes from but is a rather good picture

http://wkneedle.bayrose.org/Articles/images/arming.jpg

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Re: A jack

Postby gregory23b » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Personally squeaking, I would put that as an arming doublet/foundation for armour garment, note the mail sleeves. Construction info would offer a lot of possibilities/

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes , I should have put arming jack or doublet. I found it whilst looking for images for an arming jack. I've not idea where it came from or is and the web site said nothing.

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:32 pm

interesting to see buttons used as a fastening. I've only seen points used (adds to memory then won't be able to remember where I saw it if I ever want to refer to it again!)

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:19 pm

My first reaction was suspicion that it was a modern re-enactor construction. Saved the pic and zoomed in on the maille and although that does not give you a great picture I can not see anything to suggest it is anything but genuine. Have never heard of an arming doublet in such good condition though so remain to be convinced! If it is real I want one just like it...

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Debs just delivered on Sunday a buttoning Jack to Alan E who posts on here

I was skeptical but she pointed me to lots of evidence for them then Alan put his ensemble together and it worked

Re the ad in the pic she seems to rememeber there are two one in the met one in Europe and one of them was lost

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm

As recipient of said buttoning jack (or gambeson or acketon or ... pity our ancestors never left a complete, annotated and illustrated dictionary of arming clothes :P ), I can confirm that it worked fine.

I've fenced with points and find that they can catch a blade at times, nothing too critical (apart from when it guides the blade into you) usually just a snapped point and a gap in the protection. The fabric buttons Debs made work surprisingly well: Surprisingly because although I specified them after discussions, I expected them to feel more 'solid' or stuffed - my inexperience with fabric buttons showing there! Nevertheless once buttoned up and pinched a bit to settle the button through the hole, they held up well and only came undone when ordered :^) .

Rather than a padded garment for attaching mail pieces and wearing under plate, mine is a padded garment for wearing over mail (potentially wearing a single or pair of plates over): I'm not of knightly income and therefore don't seek to illustrate such. :angel:

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 pm

I've seen this one before, and according to most scholars this is apparently 16th century in origin. Any more information, I cannot give.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 pm

This is the Keinbusch collection thing in the Met. I say thing as its not really proved what, when or who etc.

When i asked someone in the know about it they said it was slung over the back of a chair when they went into the curators office. Its reckoned to be not all that kosher.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

That picture is from Claude Blairs European Arms and Armour btw. Still the best book on the subject by far. Gawd bless you sir!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1100-1500”