Coat of Plates Vs Brigandine Vs Breast Plate

Moderator: Moderators

Earl Mortimer

Re: Coat of Plates Vs Brigandine Vs Breast Plate

Postby Earl Mortimer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:08 am

My full review of padded gambies I've acquired from diffent companies

My 1st gambie I made myself. Very hard going. All throughout the winter sewing made me think that next time I will buy from some one else

2nd after my first gambie dropped to pieces I brought my first gambie from debs. Fitted fantastic, the arm movement was brillant and i had no problems but after time I found out that i made the mistake of asking for to much padding around the torso, so found it very hard to bend forwards and backwards. So I decided to sell it and buy another

3rd GDFB gambie - fitted alright (iched like hell) but the arm movement was terrible,I had to strip it down. Cut out padding at the elbow so I could bend. Re sewn the arms and added a gusset. Still didnt feel right so brought another then sold it on

4th Steel Mastery. Semi fitted garment sent my measurement of but when I got it through the post I found it was the Same has the GDFB gambie, the arm movement for me wasnt right .had to and still doing the re fit myself

5th.After all the problems of buying something 'of the peg /one size fits all' I Went back to Debs for a new gambie and fits like a glove.

All the gambies ive brought have been ok but my experice showed me that i needed something more fitted so thats why i went to a tailor,debs padded armour company( someone ive had dealing with in the past)

Just my thoughts And I I'm not a crony for any trader.

Shane

The Swords Of Mercia Society
http://www.swordsofmercia.co.uk/
The Exiles
www.the-exiles.org.uk/

Miniseys

Postby Miniseys » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 pm

hi would somebody please mind explaining the idfference between a coat of plates and a brigadine is ( sorry for the spelling)

many thanks

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:08 am

In simple terms. A coat of plates has big plates that look squarish, a brigadine has lots of small plates and is later (C15).

cloudy-cola-corp

Postby cloudy-cola-corp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Have any of your group ever tryed makeing some of their own kit?
Because i know people who have done this and have come out with kit that was much cheaper than bought products and its measured exactly to fit them e.g jacks and brigadines becaue essentialy the materials are not that expensive a jack is £30 pounds worth of materials but it takes time and a experience which is what make it expensive. so if you can find someone who will help you make it and you have the time to do it then its all the better for you because you save money and dabble into something that you might enjoy.

narvek

Postby narvek » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:10 am

cloudy-cola-corp wrote:Have any of your group ever tryed makeing some of their own kit?
Because i know people who have done this and have come out with kit that was much cheaper than bought products and its measured exactly to fit them e.g jacks and brigadines becaue essentialy the materials are not that expensive a jack is £30 pounds worth of materials but it takes time and a experience which is what make it expensive. so if you can find someone who will help you make it and you have the time to do it then its all the better for you because you save money and dabble into something that you might enjoy.

sorry to breaking it to you but you are teaching granny to suck eggs |(

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 am

What a good idea. I really don't know why it had never occured to me.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Erasmus Hyll

Postby Erasmus Hyll » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:49 am

Does anyone know where I might find some medieval eggs?

I fancy trying that for a demonstration.

Talen

Postby Talen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 am

I'm araid I don't know anyone yet with that level of expertise, but I agree making it yourself is definitely better.

RottenCad

Postby RottenCad » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:55 am

Hi Talen,

I thought I'd add my two-pennyworth. As you are no doubt discovering, there's an inevitable triangle of forces at work when buying any kit from a helm to a pair of boots. At the apex is "Accurate". Left hand base corner "Quick". Right hand base corner "Cheap".

Pick two out of three.

My suggestion would be to start with a good jack - as has been pointed out earlier, there are areas of which to beware (eg amount of padding inside the elbow). My rationale is that it is a) good protection, b) less hostage to changing styles (yes, with caveats, but ...) and c) very good training kit.

My preference now is a brig over arming doublet, but that's after several years and much trial and error. ("Plate for show, brig for a pro..." :wink:) And it's also come about because I was too impatient / impecunious / much of a tightwad to save up for a full plate harness.

But you have made the best decision already - asking other people. Good show.

TTFN,

Cad

In a democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes ...

Rottencad
Ordinary Member, The Company Of St Margaret
http://www.cosm.org.uk

phendriks

Postby phendriks » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 am

maybe a bit too late:
but i would suggest going for a breastplate.
if your group has members which hit you full on with an axe, then id try another group as others have said too.. a good plate will perhaps leave some small bruises, but it should NEVEr hurt if you wear a good padded vest (gambeson) underneath it, and a breastplate has the advantage that you can choose to go lightly armoured or go for the works (which ive done)if you want good breastplate i suggest trying the eastern european smiths (i can name you a good one bur i dont know if its allowed here)
i have to say im not from the uk, but what i have noticed is that the armours which are used in england are WAY thinner and softer than what we from the mainland use (although there are armourers in england which count as the best around, they are way expensive((thats what you get for a super product :) )) )
and you do want to save money for a poleaxe, since swords are rather useless on battlefields when you fight in ranks. swords are handy for mano a mano combat, in which ull mostly use them in halbschwert style..
so heres for my ranting, enjoy the hobby :)

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:16 pm

One great advantage I've found with my brig (White Rose, love it, keeps my ribs intact!) is that it covers my back as well as my front. If you end up near the front of a wedge running at a line of tinnies there always ends up being arms and weapons everywhere so back protection is really valuable.

Talen

Postby Talen » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:35 am

That's great thanks guys =) I've invested in a Padded Jack from the Padded Armour company after meeting with them and discussing things in details at TORM. Will hopefully be picking it up at the next TORM. As to armour, I'm thinking I'll invest in a basic breastplate for now and then save the pennies for an ASH brig as I saw them and fell in love at TORM =D

Return to “1100-1500”