medieval make-up and eyebrows

Moderator: Moderators

mrs archer

medieval make-up and eyebrows

Post by mrs archer »

can anyone out there point me towards references/sources for make-up/cosmetics in 15th century england? at a recent event, a mop asked me about my make-up (and seemed very sceptical when i said i never wear it)... and in reply to 'what did women use, then?', i could tell her very little. i've seen recipes for preparations to lighten skin and hair, but not for make-up as such. so would be most interested in any info on the 15th century equivalents (if they existed) of foundation, eye-shadow, rouge, lippy etc, and instances of their use by different social classes... also any references to the plucking/shaping of eyebrows and lashes, or removal of (ahem) other body hair. :$

any ideas?
tant le desieree

sally
Post Knight

Re: medieval make-up and eyebrows

Post by sally »

See if your library will get you in a copy of my book 'Artifice of Beauty', that should arm you with a fair amount of info to use next time a MOP asks you about cosmetics :)

mrs archer

Post by mrs archer »

will do - many thanks!
tant le desieree

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

Just want to say that Sally's book is absolutely excellent, and I've had great fun making up some of the recipes. The alkanet lip balm has replaced my lipstick!
"You can find a job and sort your life out any time, the pub closes in five hours"

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

My wife makes medieval cosmetics on site (with varying degrees of success) and it's Sally's book that got her started. There are all sorts of lip paints, rouges, and hair dyes, etc. that she talks about and experiments with. Some of them aren't even poisonous!

Good luck with it.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"