"Brigandine" question

Moderator: Moderators

son of a dragon

"Brigandine" question

Postby son of a dragon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi all,
I'm sure we've all seen Braveheart (and laughed/cried at its inaccuracies), i have a question about the "brigandine" worn by Gibson (and others), it looks as though its made using flat plates which don't overlap. I've also seen them worn in a couple of documentaries but my question is - did this style of "brigandine" ever really exist? I can't find any info on this style, does anyone else have any ideas about them?
Thanks.

Andreas

Re: "Brigandine" question

Postby Andreas » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Not sure what it looks like in the film.

I would look into coat-of-plates if I was you. Starting 1230/40ish and reaching into the early 15th century.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Flat plates which don't overlap....sounds suspicious. You wouldn't generally want any kind of gap between your plates - an incoming blade will potentially skim across the plate until it finds the gap and would then plunge through it into the wearer's flesh, which kinda defeats the point of armour and is the reason all the armour I think I've ever seen has overlaps or "laminates". Bearing in mind such overlaps add weight and bulk, they wouldn't be there without good reason.

I'd call "Wang!" on this, personally, but would be both surprised and perfectly happy with being proved wrong. :*

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm with Andreas on this, I think that they're suppoesed to be a coat-of-plates, but are a very cheap-ass impersonation of one.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

son of a dragon

Postby son of a dragon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what i thought, just wanted to check in case i was missing something.

KedlestonCraig

Postby KedlestonCraig » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:36 pm

yeah some of the Wisby finds look as if they don't overlap (like Gibson's) but closer inspection shows small overlap

I'm still alive - just spending time with my wife and daughter :-)

Return to “1100-1500”