Maille chausses 13th century help

Moderator: Moderators

Templar Knight

Maille chausses 13th century help

Postby Templar Knight » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I heard you wear padding under you chausses I have not seen this though so am not sure, any wise people wish to elighten me on what they wear under their maille chausses.

Cheers :)

"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

Stuart Quayle

13th century leg defences.

Postby Stuart Quayle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:41 am

Hi Templar Knight

The 13th century is not really my main time period of knowledge, but from what little I have heard ... around 1210AD knights are wearing just hose under their maille chausses and by around 1250 there is worn gamboised cuisse over the top of this arrangement, to protect the thighs and upper leg.

Gamboised cuisse is usually a vertically ribbed and padded pair of stuffed linen shorts reaching down from the hips to just above the wearer's knee. They are tied to a waistbelt to support them and sometimes cover the knees with a metal cup (poleyn) built in to them to protect the knee.

As far as I am aware only hosen are ever worn underneath the maille legs during the 13th century.

Colin MacDonald

Re: 13th century leg defences.

Postby Colin MacDonald » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Stuart Quayle wrote:around 1210AD knights are wearing just hose under their maille chausses and by around 1250 there is worn gamboised cuisse over the top of this arrangement, to protect the thighs and upper leg.

That's my understanding too. I'm not aware of any evidence for padding under the chausses. It seems a bit peculiar to wear the padding over the top, but (AFAIK) that's the depictions that we're stuck with.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: 13th century leg defences.

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Colin MacDonald wrote: It seems a bit peculiar to wear the padding over the top, but (AFAIK) that's the depictions that we're stuck with.
It's my understanding that they are worn this way as-
It makes no odds as to the protective qualities
The chausses hold the mail in place and limits the Nora Batty look
The mail doesn't move around anyway so no chaffage to limit by wearing anything other than regualr hose
It limits the mail scuffing your saddle to buggery
Mail doesn't have to made to fit around a hugely massive thigh
You can attach a poleyn to the padding

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 pm

There are pics in the Mac bible of knights being taken by surprise and putting on their armour while being attatcked. There is a guy there wearing a hauberk and pulling on some padded cuisses:

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/ ... otm3va.gif

But I don't recall seeing any imiges in the Mac Bible of anyone wearing cuisses over chausses - or even on their own (I may have missed some - will need to double-check). So it may be fair to assume (note assume) that padded cuisses may have been worn under chausses in mid 13c France.

I'm sure it was more to the end of the C13 that cuisses were definately worn over the chausses (1280ish?)

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm not aware of any evidence for anything more than hosen worn under chassseurs, though I'm making some lightly padded hosen to help absorb blows.

My undersntanding of gambonised cuisse was that they were padded tubes from hip to knea and normally went over the top of the chaussers (which are shaped closer to the leg) if they are being worn. As was said above, the poleyn was often attached to them.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “1100-1500”