Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:23 am

Mad Mab wrote:
Fox wrote:
John Waller wrote:
guthrie wrote: I've pointed out their complete unauthenticity

Make that un.

:?:

In his original post, he pointed out their complete authenticity. He has since, very sneakily, changed it. :lol:

If he had [even as a moderator] it would mark that he had edited his post.

I've edit my original post with the :?: to prove that.
It now includes, under the signature, the phrase: Last edited by Fox on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Also in John's quote it says unauthenticity.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:43 am

Am pretty sure it did say authenticity however I have just got a call to say my new contact lenses are available for collection so who knows?

Anyway stargazer chairs - Ban 'em! Shame though I agree they are quite comfy.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:47 am

Fox wrote:
Mad Mab wrote:
Fox wrote:
John Waller wrote:
guthrie wrote: I've pointed out their complete unauthenticity

Make that un.

:?:

In his original post, he pointed out their complete authenticity. He has since, very sneakily, changed it. :lol:

If he had [even as a moderator] it would mark that he had edited his post.

I've edit my original post with the :?: to prove that.
It now includes, under the signature, the phrase: Last edited by Fox on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Also in John's quote it says unauthenticity.

Oh I know that, but nonetheless, his original post was 'authencity'. Possibly he corrected it before John managed to quote it but it was authenticity.

It was, it was, it was, so :P

Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Mad Mab wrote:[

Thank you Mab, so I'm not going Mad.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Mad Mab wrote:Oh I know that, but nonetheless, his original post was 'authencity'. Possibly he corrected it before John managed to quote it but it was authenticity.

Guthrie posted at 1:32 pm.

You are correct, if he changed it before the next post, then it wouldn't show he'd edited it.

The next post was Lucy at 2:15 pm.

However, John did not post until 2:23 pm.
Unless it took him more than 8 minutes to read Guthries unchanged post and then to post "Make that un.", then that's not what happened.

That would also assume that nearly three quarters of an hour after he made the original post, Guthrie came back and edited his post, and coincidentally just before Lucy made her post.
And the further the alleged correction was away from Lucy's post the longer John must have taken between seeing the alleged mistake and making his post. It starts to look increasingly like that isn't what happened.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Maybe the butler did it?

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Zachos wrote:Maybe the butler did it?

Last edited by The Butler on Thursday Sep 25, 2008 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

:D

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Spooky....

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Alright, where's Guthrie gone? Drag him back here, get out the pilliwinks and make him confess!
It was definitely, defintely, definitely authenticity! I'm not going mad thank you very much............

Have broom, will travel!

The Company of St Margaret

The Borderers

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:48 pm

early days Kentwellism and spreads out from there I think.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:36 pm

I don't recall editing anyones posts including my own. The "Make that un" post confused me, I couldn't make any sense of it, so I never replied.

jellie-kat

Postby jellie-kat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Just thought i'd throw my two-penneth worth in here.

Getting back onto the subject of foxtails, i too have seen all the references towards the foxtail-bumroll both for cleanliness purposes upon the lav and as a fashion statement in an almost bustle-esque type way. However i'm in torn about the foxtail being used to hide a ladies bum within a tight dress upon the basis of preventing the spread of the black death.

However to throw another into the mix. There is a reference within the Description and analyisis of "The Sottie, The Sots and The Fols", it takes a look at the mannerisms and the clothing of jesters or fools within the 1450s in France.

"Similar to the recorded attire for real lunatics, wild men, and mummers, the fool's costume also incorporated animal elements, most notably coxcombs and asses' ears - signs of creatures famous for their sexuality. There were also, in some instances, calves' skins and foxtails. Again, the presence of animal parts has been read in a variety of ways, form Nelson's homosexual interpretation to Allardyce Nicoll's and Chamber's undertsanding understanding of it as unconventionalised survival of earlier pagan festivals and the scaraficial exuviae."

Just thought that might be interesting as no one else had mentioned it yet.

So on refelction if you wear a foxtail upon your belt the you are a fool! :D
In the nicest possible way :P

Wanna look fer yourself --> http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yLto ... #PPA415,M1

Loves xxx

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Jellie-kat,
I would be intereted in any references that you have regarding

[quote="jellie-kat]for cleanliness purposes upon the lav [/quote]

John

Big Gay Al

Postby Big Gay Al » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:07 pm

jellie-kat wrote:

However to throw another into the mix. There is a reference within the Description and analyisis of "The Sottie, The Sots and The Fols", it takes a look at the mannerisms and the clothing of jesters or fools within the 1450s in France.

"Similar to the recorded attire for real lunatics, wild men, and mummers, the fool's costume also incorporated animal elements, most notably coxcombs and asses' ears - signs of creatures famous for their sexuality. There were also, in some instances, calves' skins and foxtails. Again, the presence of animal parts has been read in a variety of ways, form Nelson's homosexual interpretation to Allardyce Nicoll's and Chamber's undertsanding understanding of it as unconventionalised survival of earlier pagan festivals and the scaraficial exuviae."

So on refelction if you wear a foxtail upon your belt the you are a fool! :D
In the nicest possible way :P

Wanna look fer yourself --> http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yLto ... #PPA415,M1

Loves xxx

Thanks Jelli-Kat. You've really helped.

Cheer the Beer. All Hail the Ale! Entwine with the wine....and..err.....Don't curse the Bratwurst??

Chris, yclept John Barber

Postby Chris, yclept John Barber » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:10 pm

jellie-kat wrote:...the scaraficial exuviae."

Yes, how did the thread get this far without someone mentioning scaraficial exuviae? :shock:

Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

jellie-kat

Postby jellie-kat » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:40 am

I thought it should be an integral part of everyones day. hehe. :lol:

ok ok soo it was just a handy place to stop the quote. I think exuviae should be the word of the moment, all the cool kids use it. :lol:

:D x x x

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu May 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Ghost wrote:As far as I am aware the only authentic use of an animal (fox) tail is as a "badge banner" for the Lancastrian cause afixed to ablue/white striped pole - but iI recall this topic has been the subject of a thread previously with all sort of wierd and wonderful suggestions

I know I'm going to regret bringing this back to the surface but I recently read a secondary source that claimed that Richard Woodville, as squire to Henry V at Agincourt managed to keep the king's lucky totem of a squirrel's tail tied to a lance "always within sight of the king" during the battle.

Anybody have any supporting sources with direct reference to this specific event ? No justification of foxtails tied to belts postings please.

"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Thu May 21, 2009 2:48 pm

squirrel tails ??? how many do you want ?? i got loads !!
Get them before they sell out, i predict a rush !!
Dave.

House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 pm

obviously grey squirrel tails trimmed and dyed reddish brown......... :roll:

"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

House of De Clifford

Postby House of De Clifford » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 pm

funnily enough,
the baltic squirrel (or vair as we knew it by) which was highly favoured in britain during the 11th to 15th centuries was in fact grey to black during its winter coat and red in summer.
Winter coats being the favoured time to produce a thicker heavier fur, the imported baltic rodents where almost always black or grey in appearance. Hence the terms "schwartzwerk" and "gris" as they where known. (they where almost always worked after being trapped by the Germanic states,something the trappers and traders in Novgorod always resented as the price paid to the baltic trappers was dictated by the Germans.)
The tree rodent is also largly responsible for the huge fur trade in England and the founding of the Guild of skinners (furriers). One of the oldest and most organised guilds in England.
So, who wants em ??? i got baltic squirrel in red or grey and all with lovely flashes of Miniverre.
Dave.
Attachments
200px-Geoffrey_of_Anjou_Monument.jpg
430px-Codex_Manesse_Burkart_von_Hohenfels.jpg

House of De Clifford
Suppliers of ethical fur and hides to Re- enactment, Film, Tv and Theatre.
http://www.houseofdeclifford.co.uk

Return to “1100-1500”