Simple Shelters?

Moderator: Moderators

The Methley Archer

Simple Shelters?

Postby The Methley Archer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:02 pm

I will be discussing the merits of going to an event on my own without the family in the next couple of weeks and I have no intension of carting the chuffing big tent with me.

So the question is: 'Is it exceptable to rig a peice of canvas in one of the many ways applicable to poncho/basha shelters on camp and sleep under it'. Although not as authentic as sleeping on/under a cloak but much more acceptable if it rains.

Your opinions appriciated.

Daughters are a fathers punishment for being a man

Vermin

Postby Vermin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Ben_Fletcher

Postby Ben_Fletcher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:20 pm

there are certainly some images availabile showing small shelters, some of canvas, and at least one that appears to be made with straw!

Picture here:

http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/ma/tents ... ggest.html

Main page

http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/sca/tent ... ndex.shtml
Last edited by Ben_Fletcher on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't bother running, you'll only die tired.

http://deeds-of-arms.org.uk/

The Following link contains rude grownup words and humour in text form. Please do not click if easily offended.
http://www.sfwchan.com/pics/13608937.gif

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 pm

A bit later, mid C16th and wrong culture, but this Turkish miniature of a camp scene shows simple open ended A frame tents held up by crude sticks/branches, a simple shelter that must have been used by others.

''Romans, It's all Greek to me''

A grumpy son of a Servalvanitovoulgarovlachos and Timothy's bitch!

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 pm

That would be grand as depending on how silver toungend i am i will be doing it at Kelmarsh and Scarborough :D

The style will either be the standard 'A' Shape pulled out at the bottom with rope or a lean to.

Top man Ben, this has just confirmed my design with my 3m x 2m canvas
Attachments
1479  sienese_tents.jpg
Lots of the shape I now plan on
Last edited by The Methley Archer on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:35 pm

I hear a lot from re-enactors about men sleeping in their cloaks.....

But unless something has changed radically in our biology over the last 500 years I can tell you that some attempt at something more substantial must have been attempted if you were "on campaign" anytime other than in summer, otherwise you'd have huge chunks of your army dead from exposure.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Lack of shelter may partly explain the high casualties from illness. From a later period, there are contemporary references to the Scots army at Preston (1648) building temporary "cabins" on the night after the main action in Preston. No idea what they were built of but a "House at Pooh Corner" style with turf to keep some of the rain off would be quick and easy to throw up. B

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

GuyDeDinan

Postby GuyDeDinan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:34 pm

I recall Froissart retelling a Scottish action where the Scots had the worst of it for being camped on exposed ground with poor shelter? Or is that the mead talking?

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:27 pm

similar shelters often put up alongside vehicles?

i would imagine.....................

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 pm

Peter of les Vaux-de-Cernay, an eye witness to the Albigensian crusade in the 13thC, when describing the siege of Minerve in 1210:- "A second miracle, when the Count left Minerve, the foot soldiers set fire to all the huts which the crusaders had made out of branches and leaves...."

But this was the south of France.. in July, not much risk of exposure I suppose.
Also I cannot imagine many events letting you rip the limbs from their trees.

(The miracle BTW was that all the huts burnt to the ground except the one that had been used by the priest, which was untouched.... naturally :roll: )

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:46 pm

here's a picture of a shelter made by one of our group and used by another. It always gets more attention than any of the big, expensive tents round camp.

The idea behind it was to make something that was easily carried by someone walking. It's a piece of canvas for the body of the shelter with two triangles that tie on for the ends. The canvas is held up by a piece of rope between two forked sticks with smaller forked sticks for the pegs. Sam has even proved that it's easy to carry by taking it to events on the train!
Attachments
Tatton 07 146.jpg

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 am

nice looks prety much liek my acw dog shelter

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

IDEEDEE

Postby IDEEDEE » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Some great pics folks.. I'm wanting to knock up a simple shelter myself, so there are some really useful confirmations/sources in this thread..

Karen's pics of the Charle's V camp are great!! I esp. like what appear to be canvas benders and the straw/reeds being used for bedding.

Sideways note: was at a medieval show in Antwerp the other week. The organisers had supplied a big pile of straw for folk to use for bedding & for keeping the mud down at tent entrances. Nice touch, I thought..

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:24 pm

m300572 wrote:Lack of shelter may partly explain the high casualties from illness. From a later period, there are contemporary references to the Scots army at Preston (1648) building temporary "cabins" on the night after the main action in Preston. No idea what they were built of but a "House at Pooh Corner" style with turf to keep some of the rain off would be quick and easy to throw up. B

To build a simple cabin use the same technique as building a shieling. Four walls of stacked turf, small door. Roof covered with branches and bracked etc. I reckon 6 blokes could do that in a couple of hours.

Frodo

Just did it

Postby Frodo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am

I just made a smaller tent out of the groundsheet of my big one out of sheer frustration of attempting to carry the bleeding huge thing on the train. The new and improved version now fits under my arm including poles and two groundsheets... Pictures will go up sometime... did dispair at the end of last season and sleep in my cloaks out side bad idea for the most part...

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 am

Frodo, thats the reason i'm making mine. It is going to be made from the awning to my burgubdian plus an extra piece of cavas, all waterproofed with beeswax solution and will be draped over an A frame made up of branches i've aquired locally. Its first outing is tomorrow at Kelmarsh, all I want to go with it is a woman baring here breasts inside it as the link aboved showed

http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server ... 016575.JPG

Frodo

hmm

Postby Frodo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:08 pm

I believe those women cost extra and they do take up quite a bit of room in the backpack... although you could combine both problems and get her to carry the tent...

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 am

To all those thinking of doing this USE WATERPROOF cavas/linen as my homemade waterproof didnt work as well as i had hoped all though the A frame design did.

Plan B....

Clarenceboy

Postby Clarenceboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Wet or not it looked the part mate. Hope to see a MKII version soon. Sorry again about the nose, arm and arrows!

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 pm

No probs, revenge is sweet, it will be my turn next week you won't even get close :D

Hope you said sorry to Darren :?

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:52 pm

The Methley Archer wrote:To all those thinking of doing this USE WATERPROOF cavas/linen as my homemade waterproof didnt work as well as i had hoped all though the A frame design did.

Plan B....
Aiming it so the wind does not blow the rain in might help :wink:

Duck the arrows are coming!

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 am

A slight oversight :D

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:09 am

I note Victor James appears to sell shelters of the sort we are talking about. I've never see one, but that appears to be what's in his catalogue.

The Methley Archer

Postby The Methley Archer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 am

Does he have an online catalouge (spelling) as ive tried looking in the past and not found it.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:42 am

I don't think so.

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 pm

How can I put NO,
Give him a ring and he'll happy help

Duck the arrows are coming!

Ian Macintyre

Postby Ian Macintyre » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Also of course the various buildings one might find around the countryside. Armies rarely went to the wilderness, after all there was rarely a reason to do so. So kick the people and animals out of barns, byres and houses would provide much shelter.

On top of which I've always said what a medieval encampment is missing is the carts. A cart provides a fine shelter.

Hating is easy, loving takes real character

Be excellent to each other AND party on dudes

Charisma 17

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Ian Macintyre wrote:On top of which I've always said what a medieval encampment is missing is the carts.

Indeed. Now where is that lottery grant....?

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Fox wrote:
Ian Macintyre wrote:On top of which I've always said what a medieval encampment is missing is the carts.

Indeed. Now where is that lottery grant....?

Nah, just convince a local school to make it as a student project. :)

Return to “1100-1500”