Women combat archers?

Moderator: Moderators

fitzscorob

Women combat archers?

Postby fitzscorob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:07 am

I would imagine this subject has been thrashed out many times before.... can anyone advise on the subject of women archers, dressed as women, on the battleline, in 1400s. I've been shown a picture from the Fed showing just this and some of my women members are now quoting this as normal practice. I've always maintained a policy of women combatants & that includes archers must always make the effort to disguise themselves as men. Any comments please.
salut
fitzscorob

fitzscorob

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 am

This is the section for help and advice about use of the forum, rather than for any re-enactment help. I'll move this to the 1100 - 1500 section.

Dave B

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Re: Women combat archers?

Postby Alan_F » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:29 am

fitzscorob wrote:I would imagine this subject has been thrashed out many times before.... can anyone advise on the subject of women archers, dressed as women, on the battleline, in 1400s. I've been shown a picture from the Fed showing just this and some of my women members are now quoting this as normal practice. I've always maintained a policy of women combatants & that includes archers must always make the effort to disguise themselves as men. Any comments please.
salut
fitzscorob

I don't know if it's normal practice for all groups in the Fed, perhaps an email to whomever runs it is in order?

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:09 am

Martin

For our main period unles youa re branching out radically its expected that they cross dress excepting siege events.

Do not know about the Fed but drop Alan Harley a line he's your man

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:54 pm

I believe that our standard policy is the same as Nigel describes. Though I can't speak for the Fed in general.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Jim Smith

Re: Women combat archers?

Postby Jim Smith » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:56 pm

fitzscorob wrote:I would imagine this subject has been thrashed out many times before.... can anyone advise on the subject of women archers, dressed as women, on the battleline, in 1400s. I've been shown a picture from the Fed showing just this and some of my women members are now quoting this as normal practice. I've always maintained a policy of women combatants & that includes archers must always make the effort to disguise themselves as men. Any comments please.
salut
fitzscorob

When I last checked this issue, I was only aware of one umbrella body that specifically ruled out women fighting other than at siege events and that was Livery and Maintenance - although their position may now have changed. As a member of the WotR Fed, my group follows their policy on female combatants, as referred to by earlier posters.

Combatant archers are one troop type we definitely need more of - any woman in the correct kit who wears it well and has made a reasonable effort to disguise her sex gets my vote.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

moosiemoosiegander

Postby moosiemoosiegander » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:45 pm

As far as I know there isn't an historical precident for women dressed as women being archers in a battle-type situation, the only resources that I have seen for women practicing archery are either hunting scenes or repelling seiges etc.

I am also in full agreement with Jim that the battlefields need more properly attired archers of either sex as it is a very underdone aspect of displays.

On another note, I initially read the post title as 'Wombat Combat Archers'...imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it was about women!

I'm up and dressed, what more do you want?

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:59 pm

"I am also in full agreement with Jim that the battlefields need more properly attired archers of either sex as it is a very underdone aspect of displays. "

More ironic considering the WOTR period portrayed.

Where have all the archers gone?
Long time shooting.

Where have all the archers gone.
Far far away.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Vez

Postby Vez » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:01 am

I spent ages dithering about getting my male kit sorted and I managed to get on the field for the first time at Blore. I'm hoping this season to get more field experience and perhaps may look at becoming a fighting archer, if I dont get hurt :D

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 am

At the moment, in our group, the only people kitted out as archers are guys. However, hopefully, this will change in time.

Historic evidence and rules of other groups require 'field' battle archers to be dressed as guys. But, I agree, for siege events, women may dress as women - or as guys - as they feel comfortable.

Bodelwyddan this month is choreographed as a siege event of an encampment in a copse. Under genuine circumstances I cannot imagine any woman capable of using a bow would be passive !! Any women wishing to join the 'mixed' ranks of defenders are welcome to lurk behind a tree :D .

On another matter, it looks like our event is going to have a substantial number of archers. Should look good & be closer to history.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 pm

We actively encourage female archers as part of our archery display but should they wish to take the field as archers during the main show then they have to wear male clothing.

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Vez wrote:I spent ages dithering about getting my male kit sorted and I managed to get on the field for the first time at Blore. I'm hoping this season to get more field experience and perhaps may look at becoming a fighting archer, if I dont get hurt :D

What you mean you being "hurt", with your speed you'll be able to out run any one in armour! Just used the force! :wink:

Duck the arrows are coming!

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 pm

I want Wombat Combat Archers now.....

Don't drink with the COSJ's
Don't fight with the COSJ's
Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

Vez

Postby Vez » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:39 am

On another matter, it looks like our event is going to have a substantial number of archers. Should look good & be closer to history.

Well I'll be sure to pack my male kit. I know I can wear my girlie clothes, but I think male kit looks better if doing these sort of things. I am cooking at this event but hopefully I'll be allowed time off! :D

Thats an idea James, scratch the male kit, I'll bring my Jedi robes instead.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 am

Wombat Combat...like monkey knife fighting but antipodean medieval stylee!

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:15 am

"Oh Furious George, what have they done to you!"

"Look at those poor saps back on land with their laws and ethics! They'll never know the simple joys of a monkey knife fight."

"Set course for Hidden Pirate Island a.k.a. Hong Kong"

That is a pretty good episode of the Simpsons ;)

Don't drink with the COSJ's

Don't fight with the COSJ's

Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:46 am

Vez wrote:

Well I'll be sure to pack my male kit. I know I can wear my girlie clothes, but I think male kit looks better if doing these sort of things. I am cooking at this event but hopefully I'll be allowed time off! :D

Thats an idea James, scratch the male kit, I'll bring my Jedi robes instead.

That's way lass be on the defenders side, you use your bow, I'll just be firing the cannon at you, lets see which "force" wins!

Duck the arrows are coming!

Return to “1100-1500”