1450-87 reenactment groups

Moderator: Moderators

andy66

1450-87 reenactment groups

Postby andy66 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:14 am

hi there, myself & my parrtner are interested in joining a wotr group (preferably in the midlands). wondered if anyone could give us any real good groups?
i have been in the sk for 15 years and paula 3. so we are no strangers to reenactment. i even did ww2 as well for a couple of years!
i would be particulary interested in being a billman. my partner paula would prefer to join a group that do allow women to take an fighting role. however we have seen that some of the groups allow women to do archery, although were not sure whether that was off the field as a lady, or a fighting on field role.
do all groups have authentic camping? or some plastic? we also have a dog is this a problem?
noticed too that some of the groups seem to do 100-200 years medieval. this sounds very expensive, so we would be only interested in the stated period.
i hope this isnt to much to ask, look forward to any response.
regards andy.
:?:

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 am

Well you could have a look at us, I'm a member of Buckinghams Retinue and we do have a good web site and you can contact our new membership secretary from it

http://www.bucks-retinue.org.uk/

With most of us are based around the Midlands, we have members all over the place and our events are also right across the place with a good range of type of event.
You can also borrow group kit to try out to see if you do like WOTR period without having to spend to much out to start with

Duck the arrows are coming!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Sounds like you could fit in well at KIBS, though as we're Sheffield based, we're outside your preferred area. If you can't find a more local group, you're welcome to give us a try. If you do find another group, all the best and I look forward to swinging a peice of steel at you in future :wink:

Best of luck

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Could I suggest my group (with a seriously out of date website !) http://www.oxfords.btinternet.co.uk/ ?

Also have a look at the fed website http://www.et-tu.com/wotrf1/cgi-bin/index.cgi Perhaps you could arrange a visit to the fed training event at Blore Heath in a couple of weeks to window shop for a group.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Allan Harley

Postby Allan Harley » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Andy - John W's suggestion of coming to the training weekend is very sensible - it means that you would get a chance to meet a number of people from various groups and make your own mind over what is best for the both of you.

There are a number of groups in your area all of which offer what you wnat but often each with there own personal slant

If interested PM me

Allan

WotRoses Fed Sec

Away from the battle all are soldiers.

RichardP

Postby RichardP » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Try the Medieval Siege Society (www.medieval-siege-society.co.uk). There's quite a few members in the midlands (including the current Chairman..) these days and the numbers are growing all the time.

We allow women on the field no problem so Paula would be very welcome. If interested, contact through the website - or we're all at Hedingham Castle in North Essex over Easter if you fancy MOP'ing it and seeing what we're about.

andy66

Postby andy66 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:17 pm

thanks all for your feedback. just got back from warwick very impressive displays.met some great friendly people. think weve definately got the medieval bug.just got to find a group now, so many to pick from.
regards andy.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:54 pm

If at all possible you should get to the medieval boot camp. You'll meet loads of groups and learn a lot.

There are several WOTR groups in and around the midlands. I suggest you definitely don't join one right away. See if you can go along for a training session or whatever and see what takes your fancy.

We train near congleton on a tuesday if it's any good to you.

Most groups will allow women to fight providing that they armour and helmet up so as to disguise the fact from all but close range, and change back into girly clothes before speaking to the public, but policies vary from group to group.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

matlot

Postby matlot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:09 pm

have a look at the fed web site
it has a list of all the wotr groups in the fed and where they are
http://www.et-tu.com/wotrf1/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum

Catapultam habeo. isi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

a savile a savile

Shaggy

Postby Shaggy » Thu May 08, 2008 9:40 am

We`re a bunch of dirty reprobate WOTR Mercs based in Cambridgeshire, currently combat based and up on plastics but just dipping into living history as well. Female combatants no problem and we`re not too serious about ourselves.

Find us @ www.companyofstjude.co.uk

Peace and love

Shaggy (COSJ 2IC)

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu May 08, 2008 11:01 pm

It says you're 14th century and not much else. :?:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 09, 2008 7:44 am

thats just to lull you into a false sense of security, we are actually WOTR, but our uber web-geek appears to have missed that off. I'll go throw him some Spiced rum and make him correct it :P

Don't drink with the COSJ's
Don't fight with the COSJ's
Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri May 09, 2008 9:22 am

Thomas Stanleys. Based around Up North, Midlandish and Down South-West. PM me if you're interested. Warning, may include horses.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri May 09, 2008 8:52 pm

...as part of a calorie controlled diet.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Mon May 12, 2008 8:57 pm

MMM. Tasty. 100% of your RDA of equinium in one easy to carry group. Fits in your manbag, your car, your pouch... :lol:

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Return to “1100-1500”