The Howards and the Percies

Moderator: Moderators

Chris, yclept John Barber

The Howards and the Percies

Post by Chris, yclept John Barber »

We’re doing a Wars of the Roses-era show at Alnwick Castle over the Easter weekend in our guise as the Howard Household. But the castle have just had a brainstorm – someone realised that the Howard Household would be taking over the Percy’s home castle, and that just wouldn’t do ‘given the relationship between the two families’.

The question, then. What was the relationship between the two?

The only example of both being in the same place at the same time which comes to my mind was at some place called Bosworth. Northumberland (the Percies) hung back and took no part of the affair when Norfolk (the Howards) were fighting Henry Tudor’s opportunists. But, being pretty much the end of the Wars (yes, I know that’s glossing over the Battle of Stoke and Perkin Warbeck), the barney at Bosworth something we can dismiss as science fiction for the purposes of this show.

Can anyone think of any other interaction between the two households? Preferably friendly, so that we can wear our pretty liveries and display the nice goodies painted with the Howard badge.
Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

Probably a bit late for you, what a shame, but anyway..

The Howard Anne Boleyn was engaged (or summit like that) to Henry Percy before Henry 8 nabbed her. Which would suggest that either they were ending a feud through the marriage, or they were already getting on fine and cultivating a good relationship, both of which may have some relevance to your question :?:

But I don't know! :o
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-North-Ale ... 1842124854

It's all in that book- a history of the Percy house et al as they find favour defending northern England from the Scots, get uppity and try their hand at politics in the south, get booted back up to North, take out their frustrations on distant cousins, reinstate themselves by defending northern England from the Scots, get uppity and try their hand at politics in the south, get booted back up north etc etc etc for a couple of centuries :)
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

I had a dig through some books last night and the only times Howards and Percys are mentioned togeather is when listing the 4 great magneates that Richard III relied upon in 1483 and onwards. John Howard (Duke of Norfolk) and Henry Percy (Earl of Northumberland) were 2 of these great powers of the nation.

Liz (from our group) did remind me that the Yorkists after Towton did beseige Alnwick, but I think the guy in charge then is dead-and-burried by 1483.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"