Tent set up

Moderator: Moderators

Dion"swiss"

Tent set up

Post by Dion"swiss" »

Hi I was hoping that some of you kind goodly folk , could advise me in regards to setup and layout of tents/ field encampments 11c to 1350c
email pics would be great as guides cheers and happy Australia day

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Look up Simone Martini's frescos for the 14thc layout, very interesting.

For earlier, mainly you are looking at MSS depictions, which due to many factors only tell a part of the story, ie do not rely on them for scale, or detail such as guys - many MSS images omit them.

Also, depending on what you are trying to portray you might want to look at this thread for a discussion on who camps and where.

http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12239
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Tent set up

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

I think you should be able to check this out:

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa70 ... ing/tents/

I file all images of tents I come across in photobucket. They should be dated with source. I can translate what the sources are if you have trouble.
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Dion"swiss"

Post by Dion"swiss" »

Thank you all but I was hoping for more of encampment images of actual set ups,or recommendations as per what should be in a knight/men at arms field tent?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

[quote="Dion"swiss""]Thank you all but I was hoping for more of encampment images of actual set ups,or recommendations as per what should be in a knight/men at arms field tent?[/quote]

Ah, you meant what should be actually inside the tent?
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

zauberdachs wrote:[quote="Dion"swiss""]Thank you all but I was hoping for more of encampment images of actual set ups,or recommendations as per what should be in a knight/men at arms field tent?
Ah, you meant what should be actually inside the tent?[/quote]
AS well as how the tents were arranged in camp- blocks of tents? rows? The nobles at one end, peasants at other, or did each lord and his retinue camp together?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

zauberdachs wrote:[quote="Dion"swiss""]Thank you all but I was hoping for more of encampment images of actual set ups,or recommendations as per what should be in a knight/men at arms field tent?
Ah, you meant what should be actually inside the tent?[/quote]

Lots of beer of course :D
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

jelayemprins

TENTS ETC

Post by jelayemprins »

'making history happen'
-