Scottish/North of England Medieval re-enactments 2008 thread

Moderator: Moderators

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Scottish/North of England Medieval re-enactments 2008 thread

Post by zauberdachs »

For the last two years I've been doing "Bannockburn" threads and was thinking of doing a 2008 one. Well, after thinking about it I decided that I'd leave that up to someone else this year. Instead I was thinking it'd be nice to look at the big picture and not focus on the one event.

Hence welcome to "Scottish/North of England Medieval re-enactments 2008 thread"

So, what's confirmed and who's doing what this year?
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I would have thought this might be better in the events section, which is for events, rather than having all sorts of other threads on events everywhere. Anyone go an opinion?

Zachos

Post by Zachos »

A thread about events in the events section?

Would be best if it were posted in the forums help and advice forum. Thats where everything else is posted before its moved.
Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

nah, I thought about that but then I think events is for official events announcements. This isn't about announcing events but less formal and more personal discussion of which events groups are going to specific to the 1100-1500 period.

Now stop cuba-ing my thread ;)
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Tatton (I know that that's south midlands and not the north but who cares ? :)) and Lanark for me most likely, the occasional Tudor gig in the Borders and that's about it for the moment.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Phil the Grips wrote:Tatton (I know that that's south midlands and not the north but who cares ? :))
That, sunshine, is fighting talk.

And, of course, Bodelwyddan?

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

It only counts as "north" cos it can be reached by sundown from Edinburgh even if you leave after work so don't have to take the day off.

Boddy-woddy aint on the cards for me- no paid holidays this year plus two jobs and school so having to be careful with events.

Ellesmere Port likely the next event after Tatton but not in this timeframe.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Middlewhich

Phil Boody whats it clashes with Klemarsh to which I will of course get you too arange accomodation feed and arm you as is my wont.
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

That's right, I knew summat else was up- currently my mental diary doesn't extend past the first weekend of March :)

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Nigel wrote:Middlewhich

Phil Boody whats it clashes with Klemarsh to which I will of course get you too arange accomodation feed and arm you as is my wont.
what events up north are we going to see you guys at this year?

Colin MacDonald

Re: Scottish/North of England Medieval re-enactments 2008 th

Post by Colin MacDonald »

zauberdachs wrote:For the last two years I've been doing "Bannockburn" threads and was thinking of doing a 2008 one.
Eh? The last we heard was that a date would be decided by mid-September 2007, but there's nothing on the NTS events list, and since the new Bannockburn visitor centre - sorry, the new Culloden visitor centre - has been completed, I was going with the theory that Bannockburn is off the menu. Has anyone heard otherwise?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Colin MacDonald wrote:
zauberdachs wrote:For the last two years I've been doing "Bannockburn" threads and was thinking of doing a 2008 one.
Eh? There's been no news for 5 months, there's nothing on the NTS events list, and since the new Bannockburn visitor centre - sorry, the new Culloden visitor centre - has been completed, I was going with the theory that Bannockburn is off the menu. Has anyone heard otherwise?
Yeah, pretty much why I was thinking I wasn't going to start a new thread on it.

We going to see you at any events this year?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

zauberdachs wrote:

Lanark

and of course we have invited COSM to all of our events Beat the cad if you did not know this
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Nigel wrote:
zauberdachs wrote:

Lanark

and of course we have invited COSM to all of our events Beat the cad if you did not know this
Awesome.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Colin MacDonald wrote: Eh? The last we heard was that a date would be decided by mid-September 2007, but there's nothing on the NTS events list, and since the new Bannockburn visitor centre - sorry, the new Culloden visitor centre - has been completed, I was going with the theory that Bannockburn is off the menu. Has anyone heard otherwise?
Last year I e-mailed Alison, and she had heard nothing, and someone gave me the e-mails of a couple of NTS people higher up the foodchain, but they havn't replied, so I think we can safely say that it is not on this year, or if it is, it will involve 3 men and a dog, wearing blankets.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

guthrie wrote:
Colin MacDonald wrote: Eh? The last we heard was that a date would be decided by mid-September 2007, but there's nothing on the NTS events list, and since the new Bannockburn visitor centre - sorry, the new Culloden visitor centre - has been completed, I was going with the theory that Bannockburn is off the menu. Has anyone heard otherwise?
Last year I e-mailed Alison, and she had heard nothing, and someone gave me the e-mails of a couple of NTS people higher up the foodchain, but they havn't replied, so I think we can safely say that it is not on this year, or if it is, it will involve 3 men and a dog, wearing blankets.
Auch I'm sure there are several groups they can get at short notice. All with names prefixed with the word "clan" ;)

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

guthrie wrote:
Or, as is their usual wont, we won't hear anything until about 3 weeks beforehand.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Middlewhich
middlewich.

although that's even more south midlands than tatton :D
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Tuppence wrote:
Middlewhich
middlewich.

although that's even more south midlands than tatton :D
By a whole 9 miles. the two are pretty close.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

hey, when I was a kid, 9 miles could mean the differene between being a foreigner or not...

(foreigner meaning you were from hexham / south shields)
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Biro
Post Centurion

Post by Biro »

What's the date for Middlewich Nige?

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

iACTUALLY AHVE THE RIGHT diary here

Kelmarsh July 19th & 20th Battle of the Standard

Scarborough August Bank Holiday as above

Middlewhich 13th/14th September

The Perrier will aslo be at Lanark and Tatton

Colin MacDonald

Post by Colin MacDonald »

zauberdachs wrote:We going to see you at any events this year?
Does a flying pig give mass in the woods?

Uh, Lanark. And... Lanark!

Malvoisin

Post by Malvoisin »

Nigel wrote:The Perrier will aslo be at Lanark and Tatton
We're doing Tatton? :?
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

In June

Perrier and crew only

Late adjustment caused by movement of a certain castle

Malvoisin

Post by Malvoisin »

Nigel wrote:Perrier and crew only
And lots and lots of grapefruit. :lol:
8)
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

but of course not a woolworths catalogue in site

david smith

Post by david smith »

Bodelwyddan does not clash with Kelmarsh, which has very obligingly moved to July (and I didn't even have to ask them!) :lol:

Best wishes
David

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Alan_F wrote:Or, as is their usual wont, we won't hear anything until about 3 weeks beforehand.
What's the gad up to this summer?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

zauberdachs wrote:
Alan_F wrote:Or, as is their usual wont, we won't hear anything until about 3 weeks beforehand.
What's the gad up to this summer?
A lot in August (Marymass in Inverness and Lanark, as well as Caerlaverock), working on a couple of other leads for other events in June/July and the St Andrew's thingummy. As well as Harlaw in September.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!