Possibly Thinking About WotR/Late Medieval...

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Dreadful

Possibly Thinking About WotR/Late Medieval...

Postby Mr Dreadful » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:36 pm

So, after much agonising, drooling over shiny stuff, flicking through Osprey books and squinting at clothing at markets I finding myself more and more attracted to taking WotR/Late Medieval as my re-enactment of choice.

To be honest it's not my strongest period knowledge-wise but theres something about it that's drawing me in (plus, I like the clothes).

So all you WotR/Late Medieval enthusiasts: tell me why I should take this period as my re-enactment of choice! :D

LRPer, Medieval Martial Artist, Buyer of Too Much Costume...

Wait a minute, is there such a thing as 'too much' costume?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:10 pm

It is a nice mixture of things- you get a variety of fashion, armour and weapons, but also guns. Socially you can make a great deal out of it, and whatever general characteristics you wish to take on. It was also a time of change, (Yes I know the past 150 years were also a time of change) in every way possible, from technology to social structure.
Its the last time of the knights, as well as the beggining of modernity.

It is also a time period which is very poorly served in general historical terms. Sure, everyone has heard of the rennaissance, and we all know about the Tudors, but before them, all you'll get will be a few comments on knights and their castles, whereas in reality it was 200 years of massive change and interesting stuff going on.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:42 pm

guthrie wrote:

It is also a time period which is very poorly served in general historical terms. Sure, everyone has heard of the rennaissance, and we all know about the Tudors, but before them, all you'll get will be a few comments on knights and their castles, whereas in reality it was 200 years of massive change and interesting stuff going on.

I quite agree. Before I started re-enacting with the Company of Chivalry I knew very little of the Late Medieval period. My school history went straight from the Saxons and Normans to the Tudors and Stuarts, missing out the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries enitirely :roll:
Last edited by Simon Atford on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:47 pm

Not to forget that you also get to dress up in funny (yet practical) clothes and hit people with metal weapons and have a drink afterwards.

By the way, you do know that your H2G2 page doesn't exist?

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Depending on the group you join will to some exten dictate the activities, but in either military or non situaitons there is a rich diversity.

Armour in the period is cool, arms are interesting, as mentioned above gunpowder is common, lots of freaky guns shooting everythign from stone balls, iron shot, bits of flint and even arrows.

The waning of the power of the nobility to raise for all intents and purpooses private armies came as a result of the end of the 15thc. Henry VII laid the foundations for modernising England (to a point).

Voyages to new lands are well underway, not just the soon to be discovered new world, but the mapping of coastal Africa, since the late 14thc, opening new markets and trade.

The presses finally arrived in England.

the reformation was just on the horizon, the social order was about to be shaken to its roots, the minor squabbles of WEnglish nobility were nothing compared to what was about to happen.

In terms of reenactment, well, as I said, that depends on what group you are in and what their overall style is.

if you are totally new to the period may I respectfully suggest you get off on the right foot to start with, sadly there is much free intermingling of earlier periods and later ones, creating a 'generi' medieval look, which looks poor. There is a wealth of information out there to help with:

Budgetting for the kit
making it or buying it
who can advise on 'good' or 'bad' or on the right era

Do the legwork now and it will pay dividends, clothes that look right and fit properly so that you can work in them, tools that do the job they are made for.

You will also brig newness and enthusiasm to the table and do not discount your knowledge of earlier periods, esp the saxons as there is always a godo talking point of making comparisons with earlier years.

Enjoy

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:21 pm

guthrie wrote:By the way, you do know that your H2G2 page doesn't exist?

Oops... missed out some of the URL. Should work now! Are you a Hootizen, by the way? And if so, do you follow the true path of Nighthoover? Lettuce spry.</entirelyofftopic>

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it coming (especially suggestions on webistes to browse and books to buy).

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 pm

I follow no path but my own, although I have been known to borrow maps off people. I was merely satisfying my own curiosity about what your website was like.

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Well, h2g2 is a nice place to hang out should you decide to linger... though it contains much that is apocryphal or at least wildly inaccurate it's still better than W*kipedia.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:34 pm

I think Wikipedia and H2G2 are not directly comparable, they have different purposes.

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Yep, our purpose is to be better than Wiki! (Seriously though, you are right... we present subjects in a light, entertaining manner and go for the esoteric over the mundane. Wikipedia is more concerned with dry facts)

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 pm

I can tell by your page. It would be fun to see what sociologists in 50 years time make of them all. Plus if you aren't British, they won't make much sense.

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:02 am

Yeah, the site is particularly British... though we do have more than a few members from the colonies.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:16 am

Of course another reason to do this period is that a number of people who also habituate the period read the Chap magazine.

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:27 am

The Chap, you say? Well, that's me sold! :lol:

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:43 am

I chose WOTR because it has lots of cool stuff (armour, guns, other technology) not found in the earlyier period, but without being as uniform or well documented as in the later periods, so there is a lot more scope to do your own research and actually add to whats going on than the would be in civil war re-enactment for example.

I also like the fact that medieval re-enactment has lots of small groups rather than one or two big ones. although it can have a downside it does allow ideas to be challenged and keeps things interesting.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:58 am

I chose it as it was a lot of fun, not covered at school and I was intested in Dicky III
My advise is to join a group most have kit to borrow while you get set up, work on your soft kit 1st as you do spend more time in it.
Have a look at our group site, it's got some advise on it

http://www.bucks-retinue.org.uk/

Just remember it's FUN :D

Duck the arrows are coming!

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:53 am

Yeah, the not covered in school thing is part of my own interest... we did one lesson on WotR and all I can remember from that is the teacher saying that sporting events between Yorkshire and Lancashire are sometimes referred to as 'Wars of the Roses'.

Ooh! The pic of Henry VIII and Queen Anne on your gallery... I do LRP with those two! Small world, innit?

RottenCad

Postby RottenCad » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm

Funnily enough, I got interested because it WAS covered at school - we did WOTR and the Reformations for A level; my interest then lay dormant for about 20 years, when I got involved with WMA - the group I was with had a militant wing which "did" late medieval, and I was hooked.

As Guthrie has pointed out, it is an era of great change; although no-one knew that the Renaissance or the Reformations were arriving, technology such as the movable-type press and social movements such as Lollardy and the desire to have religious texts and ceremonies in the vernacular were starting to make a perceptible difference to people's lives.

The evolution of feudalism into bastard feudalism, and the emergence of a merchant class (and some would argue, the Over-Mighty Subject) were fuelling political change across the continent of Europe; change to which the answer regularly seemed to be the projection of political might by military means.

So there's warfare, legal changes, increased (and in many cases, unwelcome) social mobility, the rise of mercantile power, a new breed of skilled artisans, renewed interest in art and design, new technologies and a loosening of social cohesion which makes a fertile mix for any aspect of the period that c21 people can get their teeth into.

Welcome to our world!

TTFN,

Cad

In a democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes ...

Rottencad
Ordinary Member, The Company Of St Margaret
http://www.cosm.org.uk

KJ

Postby KJ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:20 pm

It wasn't my favourite period either, I always fancied regency but my friends were medieval re-enactors. I think I stayed though because the period is so fascinating, so many things are so different, their health beliefs, the foods they had (no potatoes, no chocolate I'd be lost!) etc. But i also saw very similar basic things about their life which I could relate to my own.

I guess it's the same in different periods too but there really is something to please everyone, archery, arms and armour, crafts, cooking, music. Whatever rocks your boat. The only other period I've done is 1940s, which was very different to the medieval I did but equally had it's own charms, sunglasses, chocolate! shoes with heels! The only thing I'd say about medieval is it's quite expensive if you want your own harness etc. I think a lot of us came in saying we wouldn't spend much and we'd just buy the basics but a house full of kit later it didn't quite work out like that!

Plus! the biggest bonus of all, you get to hang around in fantastic castles and manor houses, and can wander round them out of hours when the public have gone. One of my favourite memories from my fighting days was climbing to the top of Portchester castle in full kit and later on going for a full Latin service in the church there with the local vicar joining in.

Karen

'When this you see remember me, and bear me in your mind, Let all the world say what they will, speak of me as you find.'

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:59 am

James The Archer wrote:Have a look at our group site, it's got some advise on it

Mr Dreadful wrote:The pic of Henry VIII and Queen Anne on your gallery... I do LRP with those two! Small world, innit?

And what do I find this morning but an e-mail from Richard saying he may take me to a Bucks event some time next year!

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am

Mr Dreadful wrote:
James The Archer wrote:Have a look at our group site, it's got some advise on it

Mr Dreadful wrote:The pic of Henry VIII and Queen Anne on your gallery... I do LRP with those two! Small world, innit?

And what do I find this morning but an e-mail from Richard saying he may take me to a Bucks event some time next year!

With out a dout the world can be very small at time, it would be nice to meet you there, and yes we do have kit for "hire" for any one who wants to try it WOTR out with us before spending too much money - but you always do in the end. :D

Duck the arrows are coming!

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:34 am

James The Archer wrote: we do have kit for "hire" for any one who wants to try it WOTR out with us before spending too much money - but you always do in the end. :D

That'd be absolutely smashing... I'll likely have my own hose (albeit self-supporting ones, but I hope such things can be forgiven for a first event), shirt and shoes by the time I come along, but other stuff would be great.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:01 pm

Mr D. I live in Swindon as does Mark from the Woodvilles now. If you PM me I'd be happy to show you some stuff and loan you some kit so you don't have to use those self supporting hose. Thats not to say that I don't have some that support themselves but thats beacause I've been eating a lot of fish suppers while on holiday. besides it is fashionable to present a belly in Florence of the 1460's, shows you can afford to eat well and pay lackeys do your hard work. That's my excuse anyway. :oops:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Mr Dreadful

Postby Mr Dreadful » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:14 pm

PM sent...

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Thank you and I'll be seeing you. :wink:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “1100-1500”